How can i play mp4/avi auto. Building a system with touchscreen for my son who cant read..... (1 Viewer)

Angelodv

Portal Member
March 7, 2008
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
Hi all,

Im building a mediaportal system for my oldest son. He can't speak or read.

Is there a way to start a mp4/avi... movie auto like a dvd?

I want that playing a movie for him is just like clicking the tumbnail of a DVD folder.

If i put a movie (mp4) in a folder it opens the folder and then he has to click that.

And the second question is how can i change the thumbnail of a mp4 movie for mediaportal.

He always chooses his movie by the thumbnail.

Thank you in advance...

A

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello,

first you need to decide, if you want to use MP1 or MP2.
    Your questions indicate, that you have no used a HTPC software, reading the WIKI first would answer hopefully the basic questions and potentials.
    Is there a way to start a mp4/avi... movie auto like a dvd?
    Clicking on a media item always starts playback.

And the second question is how can i change the thumbnail of a mp4 movie for mediaportal.
    You may tag the files prior importing to MP or leave it to the importer of MP. Important is, that the naming of the video file is done correctly. Everything is described step by step in WIKI.
    I do only use MP2. It also offers user management, means restrictions can be applied by user according to the movie age rating and only to the age fitting media items are shown.
    Touch display support for the default skin will be improved with next version. The view can be configured in a way, that only the video thumbnails are shown and details with text etc. are not existing.
    MP2 - V2.3.2 - General Thread

Angelodv

Portal Member
    March 7, 2008
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Ge2301,

Im using mediaportal for a long time.

Its not that easy. My son has a physical and mental disability.

He only reacts on pictures.

This is the dvd section, if he clicks on it they play auto.

20211114_133457.jpg

If i try this with a mp4/avi.... then i get this

20211114_133513.jpg

He dosnt understand what he has to do then.

I want to rip my dvd's to mp4 so i can choose language and i want to use a touchscreen tv to play the movies.
    Also a mp4 takes less space on my Nas.

Any other option on a remote is to difficult for him.

And for the tumbnails, i changed the thumbnail already to the picture i want, but mediaportal makes his own thumnails.

screen thumb.PNG

Angelo

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Your screenshots are for MP1, I’ve not used it. In the library view of MP2 one click starts the media item. From the screenshot it seems like a folder view because of the “back” thumbnail. The main menu of MP2 offers also features like “favourits, recently added, continue playing and you can hide all menu icons that are not relevant for your son. In his account you could eh only show movies, series, music and hide weather, news, TV and settings.

Ripping DVDs as MP4 is already a good idea. Better you rip them directly as mkv. The “media buddy” (search in forum) can do that and directly tag the media information. Just I’m not sure if it can also rip directly from DVD, probably that is legally problematic.

if you prefer to use MP1 probably somebody else can better help. In case of MP2 let me know and I could offer an unreleased version with better touch display support. Another good thing could be, that all menus in MP2 are icon based, so visual navigation etc. is possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom