How do I speed up fast forwarding tv? n00b questions (1 Viewer)

gymnophoria

January 2, 2016
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I'm a new MediaPortal 2 user after losing the excellent Windows Media Centre in upgrading to Windows 10. I'm trying out MediaPortal but there are lots of things I'm used to being able to do that I'm struggling with. I only want MP for watching live tv on my computer so I have a few questions:

1. When fast-fowarding prerecorded or paused live TV, it only goes at x4, no matter how many times I press the >> button. Is there no way of getting it to go faster?!
  2. I also don't seem to be able to click on the time slider to skip ahead to a point I want. Is this not possible?
  3. When I click the screen while playing live tv it brings up the EPG, but it only shows the currently playing programme, not what's next or previously like on tv EPGs. Is this normal?
  4. When I click the P button at the top right it brings up the EPG and I can go back to the home screen with tv playing in the background, but how do I get rid of this overlay?! Whatever I click or press it stays until I reset. There's no obvious way to get rid of it.
  5. I only want to use MP for watching live tv, which requires scrolling down the list every time I start the programming. Is there any way of configuring this start menu? I don't want options for audio, video etc, can I not change this order or remove them? Or automatically set it to play live tv when I start?
  6. I don't want MP automatically starting in fullscreen so I turned this off in settings. How do I get it to go fullscreen when I want? Clicking maximise just makes the window fill the screen, not fullscreen. I've read the keyboard shortcut is F, but that does nothing.
Thanks, hope someone can help with my questions. I'm really missing MCE, it worked so well.

Last edited:

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi and welcome to MediaPortal,

I try to answer your question directly:
    1. The "fast forward" capability is defined by the used DirectShow graph (and all involved filters). A 4x ffw is normal. A better alternative are the "instant skips" (percentual, keys "up" / "down"), or "skip steps" (configurable intervals, keys "left"/"right"),
    2. Yes, this is not yet possible, but planned.
    3. This screen is the "mini EPG" used for zapping. It shows now/next program. If you like to see the full guide, you can access it by "G" or from TV home screen's hidden menu (skin related)
    4. This is skin related, other skins like BlueVision are moving this into a "currently playing" screen only.
    5. Therefore I'd recommend to try the included BlueVision skin, it has a grouped layout and exposes all TV feautures in one group
    6. Toggling between the 3 window states (Fullscreen, Windowed, Windowed on Top) happens via "Alt-Enter" or from settings
    So some points are skin dependend and a matter of taste. I hope this helps you for your next steps :)

gymnophoria

January 2, 2016
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Great thanks for that, I've changed to BlueVision.

Alt-Enter isn't the most obvious way of toggling between fullscreen and windowed, an onscreen button would be useful esp for using with remote control.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom