How easy to use, without Internet, just to access from my home theater (1 Viewer)

macnab

July 17, 2015
Home Country
South Africa South Africa
All my ripped DVDs are MKV because MakeMKV is by far the easiest way to do this. WMP cannot be taught to stream MKVs.
All I want to do ise connect my home theater to my PC to watch my viedoes and listen to my CDs. I do NOT want to download album/DVD covers, I do not want meta data, I do not want interviews with the musicians, I do not want to stream from the Internet.
Is it fairly easy to set up MP so that:
1) I can add folders without Internet access
2) I can watch my movies without Internet access

Thanks

macnab

July 17, 2015
Home Country
I don't have an HTPC. I have a PC, a router, and a home theater. Home theater - PC link working fine, except for MKV files. (Because of WMP)

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    You need to specify "Home Theater" a bit more precise. For all of us a Home Theater isn't complete without a HTPC but it looks as if you don't use one. So how do you feed your TV/Beamer with content?

macnab

July 17, 2015
    Home Country
    I have a normal everyday PC. On it I have folders with my ripped CDs and ripped DVDs. I have a router plugged into my Ethernet port. I have a LG BluRay player with built in 5.1 amplifier, and HDMI feed to my TV. The LG has an Ethernet port connected to the router.
    With WMP I select Organise, and then select the folders which contain audio and video files. This shares them (puts the into the Library folders), and I can navigate to the files with the LG home theater and play them. Except for MKV files. WMP can learn how to play MKV files, but not to share them.
    I am looking for something that will share my media files, including MKV.
    An app such as Plex does this, but it requires Internet access to even start up, and I can't find a way to add folders to it without it downloading megabytes of metadata, jpgs, etc. So I am looking for a replacement for Plex, that can be used without a major broadband connection.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    OK, then you need a DLNA (or UPnP) Media Server software running on your "normal" PC. There are lots of them available. Plex is one of them, WMP also can act as one. But there are lot more to try. As I have permanent Internet connection I don't know if any of them are working without Internet, so it's up to you to try out which one does it best for you.
    Here is a link I've found in less that 1 second on google:
    http://www.topnettricks.com/dlna-media-servers-for-windows-8/
    Maybe you can find there what you're looking for.
    As average HTPC solution like MediaPortal, Kodi, Plex,... is not what you are looking for as all of them having the goal to present the media as nice as possible, what means they will be enriched with metadata and fanart...

macnab

July 17, 2015
    Home Country
    Thanks.
    I have been Googling as well, and found out that the K-Lite Codec Pack fixes the problem with WMP. It works.
    I follow your comment about HTPC apps enriching the viewing experience, but my home theater is much like using Windows Explorer.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    my home theater is much like using Windows Explorer
    I got this. But... even in Win Explorer folder.jpg and thumbs are used to make it look more attractive.

WMP not really is the best DLNA server available. Probably one of the alternatives are better fitting your needs when it comes to recoding media as I can imagine your LG BluRay player isn't able to playback all and every media available... If a media is selected your player can't play, a good! DLNA server modifies it on the fly (that's what recoding is meaning in this context) so you can play back it nicely nevertheless...

macnab

July 17, 2015
    Home Country
    I get your point. But with my system the way it is I don't have the benefit of an HTPC (be it merely software) experience. Now you are talking about remote control (be it just wireless keyboard and mouse), video feed from the host machine to the TV, etc.

To be honest, I have yet to come across a media format that my LG doesn't handle. This is also a reflection on my lack of exposure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom