Ongoing How long DVI cable can be (1 Viewer)

CoolHammer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 28, 2004
    Finland
    Hi,

Things are progressing once again. I'm currently making routes for cables on the roof and inside the livingroom walls.
    One of the goal is to have a beamer. It will be connected to HTPC with dvi-i connection. How long that cable can be? In meters please.

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Its a bit like the old question - "how long is a piece of string?" The answer is - it depends.... :)

The maximum length of the DVI cable depends on the quality of the DVI cable and the resolution size that you want to display. The higher the screen resolution, the greater the data rate required and thus a greater bandwidth is required.

For example, I run my projector at 1280x720 and I use a top-quality cable that is 8 metres long. I cannot detect any difference in the image quality between that 8m cable and the projector's supplied 1.8m cable. However, if I increased the resolution (not applicable in my case, since the projector does not display a higher resolution), or increased the length, then I may begin to see a degradation in image quality (sharpness of the image).

My advice is to keep the cable as short as possible, use the best quality (lowest capacitance) that you can get (and this does not mean the most expensive), and try it if possible before you commit yourself.

Also, have a read of this for some more info.

Do you know what resolution you plan to use, and what the length is likely to be?

interways

March 6, 2005
    I use an Apple Cinema HD display with a very high resolution of 1920x1200. At a cable length of 3m it is working. But the resolution is so high, if I use a 4m cable, visible degradation in the form of green flares accur.

So, it depends on resolution and cable quality.

CoolHammer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 28, 2004
    Finland
    Interesting. Since dvi-i is digital i thought it would not affect to guality of picture. Just having max lenght. Quality of cable i can understand, it is same allways when trying to get near to theoretical max performance.

Resolution would be 1366x768 or 1366x1008 (not sure this one).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom