How Mediaportal works.. updates\scans? (1 Viewer)

Schnapper

Portal Member
April 14, 2010
Gold Coast
Home Country
Hey all,

I've not had much time recently to suss out my MP problem but last night as I was watching LOST I made a discovery what has changed how I felt about MP.

Background;
had an issue with MP, when I loaded it up, and wanted to watch a movie the player maxxed out the network connection and went unresponsive. Originally thought it was a codec issue, hadn't had time to test that theory out but usually had to close MP and restart it.

Last night;
So I got bored during an add break and switched MP on, same problem, had changed a few setting, but nothing too much so I can try and localise the issue. I closed MP (or so I thought). Went back to watching LOST then at the end of the episode I switched back to MP and voila Braveheart was playing perfectly, 1% network usage.

I checked and MP was responding so I stop Braveheart and checked Cars, that worked instantly, checked 5 other movies all loaded and started playing instantly.

First time MP has done exactly what I told the wife it would do!!

So I'm ruling out codec issue, and turning to how MP actually works. My question is;

When I open MP does it run an update on my movie library (approx 2.5 tb) which is what is causing the lag or some other type of update which might cause it to go unresponsive and once update complete it runs fine?

:D

-Schnapper

ryan20021982

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 27, 2008
    USA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    It does check the folders for new movies but it wont do that, I have right at 7tb of movies all in 1 folder and I have never had this problem. Did you ever try playing the movie outside MP right after MP freezes, like with WMP? That would rule out any type of network problem and narrow it down to MP for sure.

Schnapper

Portal Member
    April 14, 2010
    Gold Coast
    Home Country
    It does check the folders for new movies but it wont do that, I have right at 7tb of movies all in 1 folder and I have never had this problem.
    Well you got more than me so I guess that satisfies me

Did you ever try playing the movie outside MP right after MP freezes, like with WMP? That would rule out any type of network problem and narrow it down to MP for sure.

Yeah I can run them with either VLC or WMP without a problem, browsing and all other activity over the network is fine which is kind of why I angled it towards a MP issue.

-Schnapper

Schnapper

Portal Member
    April 14, 2010
    Gold Coast
    Home Country
    Update;

Had a few more TV series to add t the collection, prior to closing MP it was working flawlessly everything was instantaneous and the wife was loving it.

After running the importer and opening MP back up, 45mins of "frozen" MP before it had instant responses. During that time again the network usage skyrocketed and sat high until it dropped to nil and was working again. I can't find any information on similar issues.

-Schnapepr

druid9

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 31, 2006
    Are you using shares rather than database views?

My Videos or Moving Pictures?

druid9

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 31, 2006
    Sorry, using database views in My Videos can sometimes give slow network performance on my system.

On an off chance, I would try disabling TV Series in MP Plugins config, then see how Moving Pictures goes.

I have had some recent issues with TV Series database, you might want to try uninstalling then reinstalling TV Series after deleting TV Series database.

After that without logs it might be hard to help you sort out.

Schnapper

Portal Member
    April 14, 2010
    Gold Coast
    Home Country
    Sorry, using database views in My Videos can sometimes give slow network performance on my system.

On an off chance, I would try disabling TV Series in MP Plugins config, then see how Moving Pictures goes.

I have had some recent issues with TV Series database, you might want to try uninstalling then reinstalling TV Series after deleting TV Series database.

I only activated TV Series in the past few days, I had this problem originally before I had enabled TV Series. I will try disabling it tonight and see how that goes.

After that without logs it might be hard to help you sort out.

MP doesn't crash if I leave it for ~45mins, how do I output a log when watchdog thinks there is nothing wrong?

Cheers
    -Schnapper

Schnapper

Portal Member
    April 14, 2010
    Gold Coast
    Home Country
    Update;

Have done a little looking around and had a look at the resource manager during one of these slow periods and found that it is not MP that is using the network, but instead it is System Idle Process.... Any idea exactly what this is doing?

-This is now officially not an issue with MP

ryan20021982

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 27, 2008
    USA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Update;

Have done a little looking around and had a look at the resource manager during one of these slow periods and found that it is not MP that is using the network, but instead it is System Idle Process.... Any idea exactly what this is doing?

-This is now officially not an issue with MP

System Idle Process means just that if its at 100% then the full cpu is idle. System Idle Process is not a process but more of a gauge to show whats not being used or whats left total.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom