how to ask Powersheduler ++ to not go in to S4 hibernate when working on the computer (1 Viewer)

lacanox

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 8, 2012
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hello Chaps,

Powersheduler ++ is working brilliantly apart from the fact it then puts my computer in to hibernate when I am working on it. I do use this machine mainly as an HTPC but I then also use it to post questions on this forum & cut ads out using video redo. So it is a tad annoying if the computer nods off to sleep whilst I am doing that. What should be my settings in Powerscheduler ++ to stop it hibernating when the computer is being used please?

Just did it again.

michael_t

Portal Pro
    November 30, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello Chaps,

Powersheduler ++ is working brilliantly apart from the fact it then puts my computer in to hibernate when I am working on it. I do use this machine mainly as an HTPC but I then also use it to post questions on this forum & cut ads out using video redo. So it is a tad annoying if the computer nods off to sleep whilst I am doing that. What should be my settings in Powerscheduler ++ to stop it hibernating when the computer is being used please?

Just did it again.
    You should keep MP running in the background (minimized) so that it can signal user activity to the tvserver to keep the system running.

Michael

MrCrabs

Portal Pro
    January 21, 2010
    Braunschweig
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I always close MP for doing work on it and I set PS++ to not go to standby if MP is not running. There is a checkbox under "processes" tab I believe.

lacanox

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 8, 2012
    Home Country
    Thank you for both those replies, michael_t you say "You should keep MP running in the background (minimized) so that it can signal user activity to the tvserver to keep the system running."

Does that mean there is a box to tick under powesheduler ++ settings to tell the computer not to hibernate?

MrCrabs if you close MP don't you run the risk of accidentally missing a recording?

Thanks again for your help,

Lacanox

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    Thank you for both those replies, michael_t you say "You should keep MP running in the background (minimized) so that it can signal user activity to the tvserver to keep the system running."

Does that mean there is a box to tick under powesheduler ++ settings to tell the computer not to hibernate?

MrCrabs if you close MP don't you run the risk of accidentally missing a recording?

Lacanox

If you close the client part of the software, then the TV server side will still run in the background and manage your recordings. So... When you want to work, close the MP client software, do your work, then when you have finished working, start the client software again and PS++ will then manage your standby (putting it to sleep after X minutes of inactivity).

The only change you need to make is to put a tick in the option "Do not put the computer to sleep while the MediaPortal client software is not running" within the processes tab (expert mode), as shown here: http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/in...Server_Plugins/PowerScheduler++/Configuration

Commerzpunk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2007
    Andernach
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I just want to confirm what robbo and MrCrabs said.
    A long time I suffered from sleep / wakeup / suspend / hibernate issues.
    Finally PS++ and the "Do not put the computer to sleep while the MediaPortal client software is not running" option is a perfect setup for me.
    And the TV-Server is in fact a stand alone program, you never miss a record just because no client is active.

Just wanna warn you, it happend to me very few times: If you "work" on your HTPC, like video cutting, installing software, installing updates or just play arround something - you might run into scenarios where the computer is forced to restart or just crashes.
    On the other hand, video cutting on the same hard disk where the records go can be a performance bottleneck!

So if there is an upcomming record you know about: leave the server alone. ;)

michael_t

Portal Pro
    November 30, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Lacanox
    The MP client (PS++ client plugin) is checking for user activity and signals this to the MP TVServer (PS++ server plugin). The TVServer is a Windows service and the PS++ server plugin cares for wakeup and standby (e.g. for recording). But without the PS++ client plugin it has no idea if there is a user doing something and will force a standby (unless there is a recording or something else that prevents standby) after the time configured in the PS++ server plugin. This is what you experienced. There are two ways to avoid this:
    • You can keep the MP client running (minimized), so that it can signal user activity to the PS++ server plugin and this will not force standby
    • or you check the "Do not standby while MP client is not running" in PS++ server config.
    Which method you prefer is up to your usage. If you have a desktop PC which you are using for other purposes too, you should use the first method. If you are using your PC as a HTPC appliance and you are doing only maintenance work on it, you should use the second method.

Michael

lacanox

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 8, 2012
    Home Country
    Excellent, thank you very much, I am doing it now :) And thank you for posting the wiki link for configuring. The hardest thing for me to get my head around has been client & server concept. Server is that which controls tuners & EPG power etc. Client is the MP GUI, where I have the lovely interface screen, can see my recordings, & look at my EPG to set recordings. Or to put it really simply for a numpty like me Server is General client is foot soldier.

One tiny other question when my machine reboots it needs a password to log on. But if I am not there to enter the password will MP & MPTV server be doing there jobs behind the scene?

Thanks again for all your kind help.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom