How to configure foreign language (1 Viewer)

xadox

Portal Pro
August 18, 2005
Home Country
Germany Germany
Somehow I do not understand how to configure IMDB+ to use german language as default.
I have tried different settings but the movies are always renamed to english.

I have also added the last option in IMDB+ the setting: de|en
Do I also have to change something in MovingPictures?

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    @xadox, Amazon/IMDb killed www.imdb.de and redirect to www.imdb.com, which kills all the work I did to get the German title/summary/etc. Am going to be working on a full rewrite on the title which is helped by code added to MovPic that will finally allow me to do so. Just been a problem finding time to do so.

I am sure there are still functional workarounds to get German titles to work, but it is hard to test that for me on a non German-IP internet connection. If you want German to work right now, then look at FilmInfo+ alternative otherwise, but I'm hoping soon to have some time available for IMDb+ to start on the full rewrite.

xadox

Portal Pro
    August 18, 2005
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I see. For the past I was already using FilmInfo+ :).
    So it was actually only the wrong time to switch to IMDB+.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Did you find some time already :), since FilmInfo+ also stopped working.

Not yet :(

Not looking good this weekend either, but I'm still crossing my fingers the one after that remains free to finally work on it.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    RoChess, what about spanish? Is it broken too?

The only foreign languages that still work 100% are Dutch, Icelandic and Swedish, because I am able to rely on a non-IMDb source for the information for those. Amazon who owns IMDb decided in their sheer wisdom to kill off the localized versions of IMDb (imdb.es, imdb.de, imdb.fr, imdb.it, and imdb.pt). They are slowly merging the data from those website back in, but it is the way they are doing it that is slow and inconsistent which is a pain to keep up with.

Their new method also includes trying to automatically detect where you are from and what language to use. This is the real pain for me, because I am on a USA IP so I have to rely on debug logs from users and in some cases I can use web proxies.

What exactly stopped working for you though?

PS: If you know any Spanish movie sourse that has a method to locate movies based on IMDb tt-ID, then I can re-add full Spanish support real quick and easy.

sunfire7

Portal Pro
    March 24, 2011
    Home Country
    Mexico Mexico
    @RoChess, thanks for your help. I understand that it's an Imdb issue, I can't even access the spanish version in my browser anymore.

One site that is really nice and have language selection (included spanish) is themoviedb.org

I don't know if you can use the API they offer (http://www.themoviedb.org/documentation/api), but in the webpage if you search an imdb tt-id the right movie appears as a result. Inside the movie page I can select the language to spanish and the title and synopsis are correct.

Example with Xmen Days of future past:
    tt1877832
    Search page:
    http://www.themoviedb.org/search?query=tt1877832
    English page:
    http://www.themoviedb.org/movie/127585-x-men-days-of-future-past
    Spanish page:
    http://www.themoviedb.org/movie/127585-x-men-days-of-future-past?language=es

There seems the only difference to get spanish lang is to add "?language=es" I don't know if you can do something with it.

Thank you for your hard work and dedication to this.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Can not use TMDb as a source, they require the API key to be kept a secret which is not possible with IMDb+ XML based scraper-script. That is why the existing TMDb support within Moving-Pictures is C# based, but I'm not going to convert. It would have to be a source such as moviemeter.nl (Dutch), kvikmyndir.is (Icelandic) or filmtipset.se (Swedish), which all allow me to locate a movie in their language via IMDb tt-ID and then get the info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom