how to navigate through audio file (1 Viewer)

kkendall

Portal Pro
April 24, 2007
Gouda
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Is there a proper way to navigate through an audio file, like dj mixes, audio books, concerts, etc.?
You'd think this would be one of the basic functions in a htpc software music section. But oddly enough skip steps or some other way to navigate through audio files is not available in MP...
This makes the music section useless for thousands of people! I can use all sections and plugins...accept the music section.

Is there a plugin that does have this basic function so I can actually use a music section in MP?

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    In full screen video skip steps work using cursor as there are no GUI elements. In music full screen there are GUI elements so the cursor keys must be used for navigations.

Use of ffwd/rew appears to be as designed
    http://mantis.team-mediaportal.com/view.php?id=2551

So simple answer is that you can not skip in steps within music. You can ffwd through a track (speeding up playback)

concerts etc can be managed via CUE files though to provide chapters

kkendall

Portal Pro
    April 24, 2007
    Gouda
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Yes, I was afraid this would be the answer...but I could't believe skip steps were...well, skipped :)
    This makes the music section useless for me. I have lots and lots of dj sets, up to 8 hours long. If i cant navigate through these files in a easy quick way, the music section is useless.
    Personally, I think all audio/videofiles should work the same in MP. It's confusing files in the music section are handled differently than in all other sections, like 'my videos', 'online videos', 'moving pictures', etc
    Is there really no way to assign some keys to skipsteps? Or a clickable navigation bar or something, like in all standalone players? It would make life so much easier for me and for a lot of people with me. Can I assign skip steps to keyboard keys myself?

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    Personally, I think all audio/videofiles should work the same in MP. It's confusing files in the music section are handled differently than in all other sections, like 'my videos', 'online videos', 'moving pictures', etc
    But fundamentally videos have no GUI in fullscreen so you can use the cursor to perform skip steps. This is simply not possible in music as fullscreen has GUI controls. So no matter what happens music and videos can not act the same.

Is there really no way to assign some keys to skipsteps? Or a clickable navigation bar or something, like in all standalone players? It would make life so much easier for me and for a lot of people with me. Can I assign skip steps to keyboard keys myself?
    Not currently no. This would be a new feature. Clicking on the progress bar is not really a viable option as MP is designed for control via remote not a mouse. (hence why standalone players can do this because they are designed to be controlled via a mouse)

We could potentially add the actions for skipping that you could map to remote / keyboard buttons but that is a new feature that until now has now been requested.

If your DJ Mixes are semi-track based you can still use CUE files to split the single file into tracks and then you can jump between tracks

kkendall

Portal Pro
    April 24, 2007
    Gouda
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    But fundamentally videos have no GUI in fullscreen so you can use the cursor to perform skip steps. This is simply not possible in music as fullscreen has GUI controls. So no matter what happens music and videos can not act the same.
    Isn't this a fundamental design flaw then? If it was programmed to act the same, we wouldn't have this problem...but that aside.
    Not currently no. This would be a new feature. Clicking on the progress bar is not really a viable option as MP is designed for control via remote not a mouse. (hence why standalone players can do this because they are designed to be controlled via a mouse)

We could potentially add the actions for skipping that you could map to remote / keyboard buttons but that is a new feature that until now has now been requested.
    Great! What's the best place to request adding the possibility to assign skip steps to keys in the music section? This would be the cherry on the MP-cake for me! Do I have to post it in he improvement suggestions section in the hope it's picked up? Or could you help here in any way to speed things up to have this implemented?
    If your DJ Mixes are semi-track based you can still use CUE files to split the single file into tracks and then you can jump between tracks
    Thank's for the suggestion, but all is recorded in one go so thats really not an option.

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    Isn't this a fundamental design flaw then? If it was programmed to act the same, we wouldn't have this problem...
    I would not say so no. Music and video are fundamentally different. Designing them the same would be wrong. If the now playing screen had no controls it would take away from some of the good stuff there is in the music section that makes it more than just a device for playing music. Indeed in 1.3 I am going to extend this to include shuffle, repeat and auto-dj buttons on this page (and these make no sense for TV/videos)

Great! What's the best place to request adding the possibility to assign skip steps to keys in the music section? This would be the cherry on the MP-cake for me! Do I have to post it in he improvement suggestions section in the hope it's picked up? Or could you help here in any way to speed things up to have this implemented?
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/listen-music-99/ideas-music-section-1-3-a-95869/
    and
    Improvement Suggestions - MediaPortal Forum

I would be interested to see how many others need this functionality

Thank's for the suggestion, but all is recorded in one go so thats really not an option.
    You can still split it up. It would be like chapters on a DVD but a lot of dance mixes are not really structured like that (several of the DJ mixes I do have though are split into tracks on the CD even though they are continuous track)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom