How to play my already recorded files & see them in MP (1 Viewer)

lacanox

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 8, 2012
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hello Chaps,

Could someone point me to the instructions how to get MP to see my already saved films & TV shows please? I edit them in Video redo & then save them in the same folder as set up in MP but then MP does not see them. Any ideas anyone? Should I create a new folder or folders for TV shows, documentaries etc Film & so forth? Then do I use the database function in I think TVServer? If I do that will MP be able to view & play the actual video files? Most of the files are MPEG2.

Thank you

Lacanox

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The best way is to save to Series & Movie Folders (each movie file in a separate folder, use imdb in naming of movies, series each in a folder per Season I would suggest name & Season # and Episode # in Series file name). Then use MovingPictures (alternatively my Video or my Films) & MPTvSeries plugins to show at client side.

If you use more than one client then you need to get to a distributed DB system (my Films can do natively, the others there are plugin solutions).

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    If you want the files to appear in TV -> Recorded TV section, they must be in MPEG transport stream format (with a .ts file extension) and have a matching <video file name>.xml information file to go with each one (look in the TV server recording folder to see what I mean). Then use the import function in TV server configuration to add them to the TV database.

If playing them from 'Videos' is OK, then just add the folder where they are stored in MP config - http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...Portal_Configuration/2_Videos/1_Video_Folders - and make sure the file extension is recognised by MP - http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...tal_Configuration/2_Videos/5_Video_Extensions - the files should then just appear in the normal list view in MP video section.

lacanox

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 8, 2012
    Home Country
    Thank you to you both for that help I will now look at that.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    You have to view as "shares view" (not database view) in my videos. This will show actual video files (filenames/folders), rather than identified movies that have been scanned into your database

lacanox

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 8, 2012
    Home Country
    Forgive me I am being very dim here, but do you mean I configure this under TVserver config or meidaportal config? I am unable to find in any of the menus in either TVserver or MP config for filenames/folders. Am I lacking a plugin called My Videos? How do I change views between shares & database? Sorry still very new to mediaportal.

Thank you for your help so far :)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    ...but do you mean I configure this under TVserver config or meidaportal config?
    Neither.
    You switch view in MediaPortal itself.
    I suggest you read these pages in the wiki to gain a better understanding:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/14_Using_MediaPortal/01_Basics/Views
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/14_Using_MediaPortal/01_Basics/Views/Shares_View

Am I lacking a plugin called My Videos?
    No. "My Videos" is the default video section in MediaPortal. You get to it by opening MP and selecting the videos entry.

How do I change views between shares & database? Sorry still very new to mediaportal.
    Please read the info in the wiki pages linked above. :)

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    "My Videos" is the default buillt in mediaportal video file/movie browser.

PS. TV-Server is concerned with live TV only.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom