How to select the best remote control? (1 Viewer)

jcee

Portal Pro
November 23, 2004
I have a WinTV Nova-Ci (DVB-S) which is a TT and does not work with the WINTV IRremote application. Therefore I cannot use the remote that comes with the card.

What would be the first choice for a remote control now? I understand that there are several options .. and implications!!

What works best and is the recommended remote control?

1) I now that there is a MCE remote, but as fas as I understand I need a addional driver? Second, I cannot seen how to configure in the MP config application.

2) There are serveral USBUIRT.. etc.. options.

Could anybody give a short guide on how to select (and where to order). I see that several options are possibe, but in the end they all differ in terms of ease and functionality I guess.

Thanks in advance
(BTW: Yes, I used the search button in the forum, but I still am not able to distinguish between the different solutions)

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    *The MCE 2005 remote only needs drivers if your not using Windows XP SP2. They are easy enough to obtain if you arent using it.

*The MCE 2005 remote is fully supported so there are no settings needed. It is probably the most commonly used one so its very well setup.

*It is also a learning remote so you can teach it to change volume/channels and power off a seperate tv.

*It comes with a supported blaster so you can use that to change channels on a stb.

*Its cheaper over here than any other remote.

They're the pros for this one in particular.

jcee

Portal Pro
    November 23, 2004
    Thanks for that summary :)

Two question: There are several versions here in the shops (german)
    Waht are differences.. ? I see a remote that has coloured buttons at the lower end and is labeled MCE 2005.
    At my local reseller there is a "MS 1x Fernbedienung IR WinXP MCE (DE) w/Receiver w/Teletxt DSP Hardware" which seems not to have the coloured buttons at the end. Is this an old one?

Do I make any mistakes buying that one (besides having some buttons less)

Is there no button / key mapping inside MP config as I am used to like in WinTV!?

A

Anonymous

The coloured buttons are mapped within Mediaportal. I have the same remote as I ham in a PAL region with teletext (australia) The coloured buttons resize image, transition from windowed TV/Video/visulization screen to full screen and other funcitons I can tremeber definetly worth it

jcee

Portal Pro
    November 23, 2004
    simbot82 said:
    The coloured buttons are mapped within Mediaportal. I

So does this mean if I get a one WITHOUT colored buttons I loose these functions or can I adjust the mapping in MP?

None of my local resellers have colored one.. :-(
    So I would have to order it..

Is the colored one a newer model? Or has this to be seen?!

Some of the resellers do not have pictures! So how can I be sure I get a colored one?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BTW: The one my local reseller has got looks different compared to the pictures that a shown within MP for european and US model..
    it looks like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38861&item=5193007023&rd=1

mPod

Portal Pro
    January 26, 2005
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    You will loose these functions.

The coloured one is a european version, the one without the coloured buttons is the US-version. Background: Originally, they were intended for teletext, which is not been used in the US. But MP does not use them for teletext, it uses them for various other commands, e.g. fullscreen toggle, etc.
    Maybe in some future they are used in MP as well for teletext, when the TOP text function will be implemented. The function of the keys will be more context sensitive then.

So, if you'd got the possibility to get one with coloured buttons, go for it. It's the better choice. If not, you have to live with less functions on your remote at the moment.

jcee

Portal Pro
    November 23, 2004
    I understand. Have you had a look at the link above?
    That seems to be most often offered one here.

That one is without the button. I think the functions like resize, fullscreen.. etc. are very important. So how would I get along with that remote?

mPod

Portal Pro
    January 26, 2005
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    If the picture shown is really the remote which is offered, it's an old crippled remote control without the buttons. I wouldn't buy it. Just checked back with our mce-remote "expert"...

Where do you live?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom