How to Start MP instead of MediaCenter (with your Remote, etc) (1 Viewer)

Wixbirne

Portal Member
May 2, 2009
Home Country
Austria Austria
hello there.

i was annoyed by windows, so i made this workaround.
it replaces the windows mediacenter with any application (mediaportal would be a smart idea :) )

there are other threads on how to make windows NOT start mediacenter when you press the green button, but this will allow you to change the application started to anything!

i'ts a cheesy workaround, but it does work and is easy to install

here are the steps:

1) go to your c:\Windows\ehome folder, and make a backup of ehshell.exe (rename it to ehshell_backup or something)
if you get an error because of restrictions, start in safe mode, or change the owner of the file to your account. there are online tutorials in how to do that.

2) Download this file: http://ussr.at/ehshell_starter_0.1.zip (43KB)

in this zipfile there are 2 files, extract them both to your
c:\Windows\ehome folder

3) right click on the run.lnk (you might not see the .lnk extention), select properties, and point it to your Mediaportal.exe

4) have fun starting your MP with your Green Button :)

the new ehshell.exe just starts the run.lnk

this works on vista 32 & 64 bit. i don't know about XP, but i guess it is similar.

rsbrux

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    A better solution, IMHO, is to disable the following services:
    Media Center Receiver Service
    Media Center-Planerdienst
    Media Center Extender Service
    as well as the autostart of "ehtray"
    An easy way to do this is to use MSCONFIG, which allows you to easily turn on or off anything that wants to start up automatically in your system.
    Then install the "Tray Launcher" from the "IR Server Suite", which you will find here in the forum.
    These parameters are for the German language version of XP MCE, YMMV.

PeterDB

Portal Member
    March 28, 2010
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Hello,

I tried this on Windows 7, but I get the message that I need permissions from TrustedInstaller in order to rename/replace the original ehshell.exe file.

I tested in Safe Mode to replace the file, but no such luck, neither with trying the change the permissions on the file to let Everyone have read and write access to it.

As for the second workaround, this is not really an option either - at least as I see it - since this would disable Media Center completely and additional software would be needed.

Isn't there an easy way to do this...?

woddog

Portal Pro
    November 28, 2007
    Townsville, QLD
    Home Country
    PeterDB,

What version of MP are you using?

The newer versions 1.1.0? allow you to disable the media centre services in the MP configuration.

PeterDB

Portal Member
    March 28, 2010
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    PeterDB,

What version of MP are you using?

The newer versions 1.1.0? allow you to disable the media centre services in the MP configuration.

I am using the stable release, i.e., 1.0.2.0. I am waiting for the final release before migrating over, mainly due to the fact that I experienced some issues with RC1 which I do not have with the stable version.

Although, if you are saying this is possible, could you drop me a screenshot as to where to find this option?

PeterDB

Portal Member
    March 28, 2010
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Installed RC1 on my laptop to check for the option and here it is...

FFUfx.png

I will strongly consider move to RC1 then... although, I might just wait until it goes gold and then migrate... actually, I know it will be the latter...

woddog

Portal Pro
    November 28, 2007
    Townsville, QLD
    Home Country
    RC2 should be out soon and you can upgrade to the final release, which is always a bonus.

You could always uninstall Media Centre from the add/remove windows components while you wait (yes Win7 allows you to uninstall/reinstall Media Centre!)

PeterDB

Portal Member
    March 28, 2010
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Uninstalling the Windows Media Center might seem like a good idea, but then again, I can just not press the "the green button" for now and just wait until I get a chance to migrate to RC1 or 2 or the final release.

TommySharp

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 15, 2007
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I uninstalled MP on a test machine and I must of not disabled the policy that stops MCE services from starting....

Anyone know how to enable them manually?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom