How to Strip Windows 7 Services (1 Viewer)

Don van Gelder

April 23, 2012
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
After running MCE for a couple of years, i run into numerous problems and decided to look for an alternative. My first impression of MP is absolutely fantastic. Finally a product that is recognizing my hardware (anysee!) on the fly without the CNO/driver bullshit (pardon my French).

Also the architecture is well thought of. Having a server and client environment is the best concept I have ever seen. No more tears and shouting from my family, wanted to watch something else. Just sit back, take you Pad or laptop en enjoy your own show.

So, thumbs up for this product.

Now i get to my question.
A clean install of Windows 7 gives you a overload of services that are activated, but are not required for MP. These all take their resources, slowing things down on a dedicated MP server (or MP client in that respect). Is there an overview of which services ARE required for MP, so I can strip W7 to a minimum? Thus improving stability (i know MS services) and performance.

Thx

muellinger

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 9, 2009
    Ulm
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,
    just look out at blackviper.com . This guy is doing a great job about this. He shows several "profiles" for how to
    disable not important services. I for my self am using the "tweaked" profile that is absolutely enough.
    I tried the "Bare Bones" Profile before but this was too unstable.

Additionaly i am using S3 (Suspend-to-Ram) that gets te PC back within 2-3 Seconds after wakeup.
    I reboot Win7 once a week (not needed but it makes me feel better :) ) within 30 Seconds.

have fun.

Carsten.

muellinger

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 9, 2009
    Ulm
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,
    this wont take the whole weekend. I was lucky and after applying the reg-file for the Safe Profile with manual addition of the other settings
    that the tweaked profile changed the system worked flawlessly and faster. This took a few minutes. Since wife and kid wanted to watch TV i just rebooted the system, checked that everything worked (took another 15 Minutes) and then let them be my testing bunnys and had no Problem till today. :-D

regards
    Carsten

RicoHTPC

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 4, 2011
    Cuxhaven
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I was lucky and after applying the reg-file for the Safe Profile with manual addition of the other settings
    that the tweaked profile changed the system worked flawlessly and faster.

Did I get you right that you disabled the services according to the safe profile and changed the additional
    ones from the tweaked profile to "manually"?
    Viper says about the tweaked profile that it's not made for mce pc's but I guess same applies for mp pc's?!

And your system is stable?

muellinger

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 9, 2009
    Ulm
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,
    no i disabled them. But i did this manually, because there was no downloadable .reg file that i could find. In my case i had no problems.
    But to be sure i suggest the following:

- import the safe regfile. Reboot.
    - manually change one by one additional service mentoined in the tweaked profile and test if there are any problems.

it may be that there are several MePo oder MCe Configs that have problems with the tweaked one. But for me (using a single seat install for the main purpose to replace an old DVB-S receiver) i have no problems with my intentions how this box should work.

i must say, that the difference within these both profiles is no big time saving but i wanted to squeeze out as much as possible. So for the most people, the safe Setting might be sufficent since the time savong is not mesurable.

Don van Gelder

April 23, 2012
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Viper says about the tweaked profile that it's not made for mce pc's but I guess same applies for mp pc's?!

He is turning of the MCE Services; not udes by MP (i think)

muellinger

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 9, 2009
    Ulm
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Since it is advised to remove the MediaCenter before the install of MePo this should be no problem.

RicoHTPC

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 4, 2011
    Cuxhaven
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I tweaked around to streamline win 7 some time ago and had only minor problems but little next to nothing
    improved or sped up. So I think I will stick with the standard installation since I've got an ssd and can't
    complain about speed anyways...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom