How to watch 3D Content on 3D TV (1 Viewer)

Hotkey

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 18, 2007
    Dortmund
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi all,

i'm not quite sure if this is the correct forum-section to ask, hopefully it fits:
    I've a Philips 3D capable TV (50PFL5028K/12) and i want to watch some 3D content with MP on the TV.
    When i start a 3D movie, the TV displays the video as "side by side" and i'm not able to turn this picture to a 3D image via the TV 3D menu (normaly it auto-detects it). I've windows 7, a decent version (1 month old) of the catalyst driver and a Radeon HD 5450 connected via HDMI (1.4) to the TV.

I've talked to Philips support and asked them, why the "3D -> "3D side by side" option doesn't work with such PC-Feeds and they said, i've to insure that my 3D card is capable of playing 3D content.

Long terms short: Is the Philips support right? If yes: what do i have to do to watch such 3D content via Mediaportal?
    Besides: Copying the movie to an USB-drive and then playing it directly from the TV works without problems.

Many thanks in advance for your hints!!!

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Auto3d won't help you, but it will be useful once you get 3d working with your tv.

Philips support is wrong, in that any video card that can do output 1080P over HDMI can output 3D side by side. It is within the 1.3 HDMI standard, as it is nothing special. Framepacking is different, and you need compatible hardware.

You need to manually switch your tv to 3D SBS mode, as there will not be a flag telling the tv that it needs to go to 3d mode. If it refuses to do 3d, try a different HDMI port. If you are running via an AVR try a direct connection. The first thing I would do is change to 1920x1080x24hz in CCC and try every HDMI port with that resolution. Make sure the TV is the only display connected to the computer (if it is 2nd display it will go into RGB mode instead of YCbCr)

If you still have trouble I would try the following things:
    Only 1 thing plugged into TV
    Use the same HDMI port that was doing 3d with your bluray player
    PC attached only and directly to the TV
    Use HDMI -> HDMI (Not DVI-D adapter)
    Set resolution to 1920x1080
    Set refresh rate to 24hz
    Set colour space to YCbCr 4:4:2
    Save changes
    Restart PC+TV
    Try 3d mode, if not working try different HDMI port on TV.

If still not working you need to try YbCbCr 4:4:4 and different Hz.

Last edited:

Hotkey

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 18, 2007
    Dortmund
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    thanks a lot for your input. i guess i changed to rgb in ccc at first because i had some troubles witj colors. will try to change this again.
    the tv is only connected to the pc via hdmi (no adapter used). resolution is full hd at 60 hz

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    yeah use YbCbCr at 24hz

BTW - the tv won't always detect changes sometimes you have to unplug and replug or restart pc+tv. I'm guess you have to trigger a new "EDID handshake"

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom