HowTo: Building MediaPortal with NAnt (1 Viewer)

mchang

June 7, 2005
Mr.Mitchell said:
Postbuild.bat is called automatically at the end of a succesfull Nant build through the postbuild step in the VS.NET buildfiles, so no need to put all that stuff in the Nant buildfile.
Running Postbuild.bat manually is ONLY needed as a workaround to copy and register the DirectShowHelper.dll.
OK, I understand. When the "How to compile" step-by-step list is available, me and other people can understand more clearly the purpose of all these files.

Mr.Mitchell said:
Might be a good idea to update the guide anyway with the latest Nant release candidate. An list with the exact steps will be added to the guide, any other requests?
Yes, please update the guide! I want to be able to compile Media Portal on my PC as well!

A

Anonymous

Mr.Mitchell said:
The idea is that Nant uses the exact same build files as used by Visual Studio, this makes it so that the Nant buildfile never needs updating.

Sounds like a good strategy to me. Too bad the main devs don't test the Nant build regularly. It might be a good idea to suggest that. I, for one, have no desire to spend money on visual studio. I've done most of my development on unix systems and I have no fear of the dreaded command prompt ;-) There might be others like me who would like to put in their odd 2 cents.

mchang said:
So it should be possible to eliminate Postbuild.bat and put everything in the Nant file.

There's nothing wrong with external batch files as far as I am concerned. It fits nicely into the 'all build environments use the same scripts' philosophy.

Mr.Michell said:
I have had the idea to update the guide, cause some stuff is obsoleter and can be easier, but I wanted to wait for the Nant final version, but that is taking such a long time :-(. Might be a good idea to update the guide anyway with the latest Nant release candidate. An list with the exact steps will be added to the guide, any other requests?

Nothing I can think of right now ;-) It would be great if you do these things. I really think they are needed to get people under way.

Thanks for your assistance, Mr Michell!

Ernie

PLeblanc

Portal Member
February 10, 2005
Although I'm technically inclined, I know virutally nothing about programming. I've taken some c classes years ago, but those brain cells are no longer with us. So if you want someone to test out the new and improved instructions who will really have to rely on the accuracy of the instructions, I can help out there.

Mr.Mitchell

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 13, 2004
    the Netherlands
    I am quite busy right now. I can not manage to get it done before the weekend. So it will be ready sometime next week (away for the weekend :) ).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom