HTPC and network server (1 Viewer)

Nightmare77

Portal Pro
July 5, 2005
Canberra
Home Country
Anyone running a htpc with say 1 hdd and then a server on the network in another room with heaps of storage containing lots of music and video shares?. I have just got gigalan installed and i'm curious to know if i have my htpc setup with say one hdd for the recordings and the timeshifting and teh rest in a server with gigalan connected to it, would it run reasonably well or would it lag up a fair bit playing dvds and hd content over the network?
Thanks

roosterx

Portal Pro
April 24, 2006
Högsäter, Sweden
Home Country
Norway Norway
This would work without problem, even 100Mbit Network would work - and also 108Mbit wifi(and to some extent 54Mbit wifi).

On a Gbit lan the transferrates exceeds the rates the HD can deliver or recieve. (R/w)

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    For a long time i was streaming xvids over a Wireless-g (54MB/s) connection...then tried a DVD..seems to work perfectly (from the DVD drive in my server pc)...

I even got MP to playback high definition 1080i(1920x1080 - interlaced) files ..which peak out at 22MB/s..over my wireless connection (only about 3-5 meters distance between the wireless router and the htpc)

i was amazed! hehe

*uppercuts air*

Jorgen_CAB

Portal Member
    February 7, 2006
    Halmstad
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I have all my computers connected to a D-Link router that supports 108Mbit Wifi connection, but I found out that 54Mbit works mutch better for streaming video and audion.

I have several PC/HTPC in my home and I have no problem streaming even two DVD movies at the same time to two different PCs over my 54MBit Wifi line.

I might get a small interruption sometimes, but mostly I can se a whole movie without any disturbance, so far this works perfectly for me. :)

Nightmare77

Portal Pro
    July 5, 2005
    Canberra
    Home Country
    sweet sounds like a good option, so if other computers are accessing dvds or music or videos it should lag up and interupt the htpc, nice, can't wait to set it up

Efros

Portal Pro
    January 23, 2006
    Maine
    Home Country
    England England
    My MP box has about 160 Gb local storage and is connected to a fileserver with over 600 Gb available, it also has access to 2 other networked machines each with 200Gb. No problems accessing any of the material on any of the networked PCs from the MP box. The performance ht on the networked machines when the MP box is using one of their drives is almost negligible.

EMKO

Portal Pro
    May 4, 2006
    i dont understand something

i have all my movies on my pc and i play them on my xbmc but my connectiong is sending at like 6-10mb/s max 10mb/s i played dvd iso's,xvids music and none of them lag at all. Why do you need such fast connections?

Efros

Portal Pro
    January 23, 2006
    Maine
    Home Country
    England England
    I use a 10/100 network hardwired, no problems. 802.11b cuases stuttering 802.11g is apparently ok, cant tell as I have an ancient smc 802.11b router.

Nightmare77

Portal Pro
    July 5, 2005
    Canberra
    Home Country
    i was only really keen for the gigalan because i got the cables for free so i thought install that and maybe make the network a bit more future proof. So when there is HD streams and higher Digital TV in several years time it should be all good in terms of networking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom