Ongoing HTPC to record max 12 channels simultanously (1 Viewer)

FMGenie

Portal Member
February 2, 2014
Home Country
Finland Finland
Hi!

I want to replace my IPTV DVR with a MediaPortal HTPC. The IPTV service provide 21/1 ADSL, 5 terabytes of storage and ability to record all free channels simultaneously and an option to watch and schedule recordings with browsers. However finding all the recordings is quite pain in the *** and UI isn't very eye candy. And I have to pay ~500 € for it every year! And I get many times faster Internet with mobile 4G which costs much less and the router for it is more reliable and faster than ADSLs...

I understand that MediaPortal supports recording multiple channels from same mux (without opening live window for every single channel)? Absolute worst case scenario will be to watch one SD and record 12 SD channels (12 channels in 4 multiplexes: 5+4+1+2) simultaneously or record 12 SD channels and watch a h.264 encoded movie at the same time. Firstly, I need 4 tuners to achieve this.

Recordings in TS format will take about 1.5 gigabytes per hour. I intend to record TV initially to internal SSD and every night or so export (encode) to NAS and watch the encoded shows in MediaPortal. Is this feasible and sensible idea? Will the SSD last? How long it will take to encode for example 1 hour episode?

How much processing power do I need to get this working? Athlon II X2, new AMD APU, Celeron G1610, Pentium G3220, i3 4130 or even faster? Do I need a dedicated graphics card? I have tried EyeTV with Mac Mini 2.0 GHz (Core2 Duo T7200) and Terratec H7 and it recorded 5 channels simultaneously just fine. Problem in EyeTV is that you have to always open all Live TV windows which you want to record. So that's no go for me.

I considered to build a desktop HTPC but after some thinking I'm leaning towards a laptop. To begin with there are some space issues (410mm x 700mm x 180mm or 300mm x 250mm x ??mm). There are cases which fit both of these spaces but they intend to cost a bit. And those which are cheap... Well problems will arise. Laptops in contrast are small, quiet (if you choose carefully) and - especially in second-hand and demo market - cheap! And then there is the FREE UPS! And you can take it with you!

So, how powerful laptop shall I need? Could you give me some examples which desktop processors will be enough so I can compare those to laptops..? And if I need more power, I'll consider desktop HTPC.

Any ideas are welcome!

Thanks!

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello

I understand that MediaPortal supports recording multiple channels from same mux (without opening live window for every single channel)?
    Yes.

Absolute worst case scenario will be to watch one SD and record 12 SD channels (12 channels in 4 multiplexes: 5+4+1+2) simultaneously or record 12 SD channels and watch a h.264 encoded movie at the same time. Firstly, I need 4 tuners to achieve this.
    Yes, 4 tuners required.

Recordings in TS format will take about 1.5 gigabytes per hour.
    Size depends completely on the provider/channel.

I intend to record TV initially to internal SSD and every night or so export (encode) to NAS and watch the encoded shows in MediaPortal. Is this feasible and sensible idea? Will the SSD last?
    Lifetime of the SSD depends on how much writing you do and the rating of the SSD. Maybe refer to here for an example:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...-might-help-others.122355/page-3#post-1043016

How long it will take to encode for example 1 hour episode?
    Depends completely on the encoder, CPU and encoding profile.

mm

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom