Huge amount of dropped frames (SOLVED) (1 Viewer)

georgius

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 31, 2010
    Bratislava
    Home Country
    Slovakia Slovakia
    Maybe you should start from scratch. Use GraphStudio (maybe also exclude GraphStudio process in MS Security Essentials) to find combination and settings of codecs, when playback is not stuttering.

sam3

Portal Member
    February 5, 2013
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Maybe you should start from scratch. Use GraphStudio (maybe also exclude GraphStudio process in MS Security Essentials) to find combination and settings of codecs, when playback is not stuttering.
    Here is a picture of graphedit when it is working:
    working.png

Its pretty much identical to when it isnt working (see post 1). All the filters are the same just get a huge number of dropped frames sometimes?
    The cpu usage is also the same (around 15%) during playback when it is stuttering and not stuttering. Though the windows interface did seem a bit sluggish when it was stuttering.
    I think im just gonna give in and reinstall windows.
    I will let you know if it is fixed ;)

Holzi

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 21, 2010
    Ba-Wü
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    View attachment 122645

Its pretty much identical to when it isnt working (see post 1). All the filters are the same just get a huge number of dropped frames sometimes?
    The cpu usage is also the same (around 15%) during playback when it is stuttering and not stuttering. Though the windows interface did seem a bit sluggish when it was stuttering.

Do you have CUVID enabled in LAV Video decoder? If yes, try DXVA2 and see if it is better.
    On the laptop of my gf which got a GeForce 9600M GT I experienced the same issue with CoreAVC and CUDA enabled. Sometimes the videos do work but sometimes (most of the time as far as I can remember) the video is stuttering like hell.
    My guess is that it is a driver issue or the GFX is kinda broken. I didn't investigate further because DXVA (in CoreAVC) works without a problem.

sam3

Portal Member
    February 5, 2013
    Home Country
    View attachment 122645

Do you have CUVID enabled in LAV Video decoder? If yes, try DXVA2 and see if it is better.
    On the laptop of my gf which got a GeForce 9600M GT I experienced the same issue with CoreAVC and CUDA enabled. Sometimes the videos do work but sometimes (most of the time as far as I can remember) the video is stuttering like hell.
    My guess is that it is a driver issue or the GFX is kinda broken. I didn't investigate further because DXVA (in CoreAVC) works without a problem.
    Hi thanks for the reply
    At the moment i do but i tested software, dxva2 and the microsoft codec and all now have stuttering (where i know the microsoft one was working fine last week) :(

georgius

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 31, 2010
    Bratislava
    Home Country
    Slovakia Slovakia
    Do you know performance monitor (perfmon.exe)? It should be installed with OS, so you can monitor various things in your PC. Maybe is there problem with your drives. Can you try to monitor your physical hard drives?

1. run performance monitor
    2. on left side choose Performance Monitor, graph with % Processor Time should be shown
    3. in toolbar choose Add and then find PhysicalDisk
    4. choose Current Disk Queue Length and click Add
    5. choose Avg. Disk Queue Length and click Add
    6. click OK, two graphs should be added
    7. run GraphEdit, render video file to get graph
    8. start playback
    9. if video is stuttering, check performance monitor if there are not peaks on physical drives (especially Last and Average values can show you if there is problem)

sam3

Portal Member
    February 5, 2013
    Home Country
    Maybe is there problem with your drives

Hi thanks for the reply, just reinstalled windows and I think I've found out what was causing it (Holzi was on the right track)

With a fresh install of windows and the latest nvidia driver tv and software lav encoding worked perfectly with no stuttering.
    However dxva 2 and cuvid both caused the same stuttering as before.
    I uninstalled that driver and installed the gpu driver that came with my mobo and cuvid and dvxa 2 now work too :p

So it looks like the nvidia driver was too blame (though it was stange that it also stopped the lav software codec from working as well as blocking tv?)

Thanks everyone for your help - I will mark this topic as solved

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom