i just installed MCE 2005 (1 Viewer)

A

Anonymous

MrMario64 said:
work another week with it and the fast menu's and animations sweetness soon fade away and the lack of nice features will take over.

there's nothing wrong with having best of both worlds.

besides, having a wizard, internal setting menu, and folder adding within the GUI isnt too much to ask.

there's nothing wrong with making the program more user friendly
dont want to alienate potential users.

the volume bar especially seems like a feature that should have been implemented a long time ago.

MrMario64

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I never said thats too much to ask.
    And I never said those were bad options.

I did say that when you initially use MCE2005 people are often impressed with the sleek setup, great looks of the GUI and base the quality on that.
    Then after a week these things fade away as you finally start working with the program and the setup phase is over.
    And you r used to the GUI so thats starting to get common to.

This is the moment many will review their opinion about MCE2005.

Thats what I said...

Yes I like MCE2005 to, I like it's low CPU%, I like the way the setup works, I like the way you can setup the codecs from within the app.
    And MCE shows us things we certainly need to improve.

A

Anonymous

my experience:
    1. I liked the GUI, specialy the animated interface and that mce remembers the last 3 videos, pictures...

2. then i startet to watch DVD and videos: this was the point i got disapointed. I have a 42` Plasma, so i can see the difference!!
    When i watch DVD 's and the camera moves fast, the picture gets jerking...
    This was the point i tried MP and the overlay modus, where the picture quality is much better!!!

But i wish if we will see in MP the nice gui functions in future!!!

antonyfirewalk

Portal Member
    November 28, 2004
    UK
    MCE 2005

Ya dont get much for your money.looks nice stable.but but not very expandable.bar a few crappy tangent games..oh dear.

Very poor video dvd playback.

critifer

Portal Pro
    February 9, 2005
    Very well put...

Very very well put .... This sums it up for anyone venturing into this - and initially intrigued by MCE. The slowwwwwwwwww time to new features is near sick. I was an MCE2004 early adopter and have done a TON with most other PVR apps. What MS did from MCE2004 to MCE2005 should have most shareholders looking into the R&D side of that house.

The community and development surrounding an open source app like MP with what has been accomplished in a short time is stunning. The work is being done and at a pace most people prefer. It's give and take but most often the give is worth the take.

It's to the point if u just want a solid DVR grab a Tivo - if u want a PVR, u want much more than MCE and this would likely be the forum to hang out in.

I am impressed and look forward to greater core stability, cpu cycles released, and skins and plugins to just keep pumping out like water.

Thanks to everyone here for the killer developmental efforts....

Great job guys!!!!

frodo said:
    Mario is right
    MCE2005 is prolly the best commercial HTPC application there is
    its very easy to setup, very user friendly, works good and is stable
    however in my opinion its a bit limited. MP has almost all functions MCE2005 has, but these functions are in general more advanced.
    But i agree that we still have a long way to go;-)
    Frodo

madtom

January 29, 2005
    Installing MCE2005 was VERY straight forward.... Configuration was simple. Turn it on and it works...

MP, I keep getting XML errors, changing channels is Sooooo Slow... its not anywhere near stable enough to use on a regular basis....

I want to move away from MCE.. so will keep trying MP, hopefully soon it will be stable...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom