I need help to get MediaPortal to start up? (1 Viewer)

curt2012

November 16, 2012
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Ok I found the TV tuner card name. thx for telling me where to look. It's: ViXS Pure TV-U 4899 ( NTSC/ ATSC Combo), Mfg: ViXS systems Inc.,
Location: PCI bus 4, device 0, function 0, Then 3 things: Memory range: 90000000-900FFFFF, Memory range: 90200000- 9020FFFF, IRQ: 0X00000013 (19),
And it is working good.!!. I hope you can tell me if my TV tuner card will work to use media portal.? I can't use windows media center any more, it worked great for 4 1/2 years then when I went to use it a few months back the WMC window opens up but I can not click to watch TV any more, nothing happens when i click to watch TV show's, I have been watching about 44 channels by Digital TV Antenna going into the digital TV tuner card, Antenna into the cable input connection. I have tried microsoft forums to find out why WMC stopped working right, but not much help there. Then I looked every where on microsoft downloads area and there's not fix to get WMC to play again. And there is not a whole program any where on microsoft to reinstall WMC again. So I saw this MP on soucreforge.net and read what was there and I said well it looks like its not to hard to install and get it work, so I installed it and did what I thought it told me to do to set it up to start working, And this is where I'm at now!!?? I hope my TV tuner card will work on this MP so I can watch live TV shows by over the air digital signals from my antenna. Thanks for helping me out!?

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    ok so set up tvserver as above wiki link and check to see if you can preview a channel. You need to do that first before worrying about everything else.

if you want to stick with windows media centre, it would probably work again if you formatted your PC.

Last edited:

curt2012

November 16, 2012
    Home Country
    Hello, I'm just about to give up with this MP. I even uninstalled it and reinstalled to see if i could start over with the quick set up. So I go to start>,programs>,
    team media portal then open that link up to set up the config. window where you can select the country and select (mine is) Digital antenna signal, then do the scan for TV staions in my area.. But that page does not open up.!! I either get a error saying it can not open that page or i get a window where you can manualy set up all the settings, except it still can't use that manual setting window to do a search of all the TV stations in my area so when i open the main MP blue window that has the TV, radio, DVD, Music and setting tab's, then when i select TV and click on Turn TV on tab ( and the blue light stays on) then I click on any of the tabs like channel, search, TV guide &.... then in a minute or 2 the same thing happens. A on screen keyboard opens so i can type in what it ask:: You have to put in a IP address or the Host name of the Master TV Station. Well i my area there is no shuch thing as a master Tv station. So I put in the Gateway IP address in my area is 192.168.1.254 or my IP adress 192.168.1.4 or I but in my host name when I 1st started, and then when I select TV and then click turn TV on tab, then click on the same tabs channel's, Tv- streaming, search, or Tv guide then the with in a few min's the same thing come up asking for a correct IP address or host name of master Tv statation. All i need is who can help me find out what is a MP IP adress or help me search for a general main IP adress so then this will work right. I'm so fustrated!!! I read other ppl post and at least they can watch Tv and use MP, but they are asking to do something else than my problems of not being able to use it at all. the radio tab doesa not work either then the same thing it ask for a IP adress. Help I'm going nuts!! thank for the help.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    team media portal then open that link up to set up the config. window where you can select the country and select (mine is) Digital antenna signal, then do the scan for TV staions in my area.. But that page does not open up.!! I either get a error saying it can not open that page or i get a window where you can manualy set up all the settings, except it still can't use that manual setting window to do a search of all the TV stations in my area

As I said earlier, forget every single other setting, forget about MP Config, forget about IP addresses.

You need to setup tv server with your tv tuner card and scan the channels before you can proceed with anything else. You need to post screenshots of the error you are having here.

I havn't watched all of this video, but I'm pretty sure it describes what you need to do.
    Start watching at 1m45s into the video to scan your channels.

Last edited:

curt2012

November 16, 2012
    Home Country
    thanks to the reply. If you watch the very beinging of the video, that's the same window I get. and when he selects the 1st TV settings tab then you can see his TV tuner card shows up to the right. Well mine does not show up at all. ALL I get is a generic window opens so I can do a few settings then thats it for that tab. Then when I select the next tab i can't do much there in any way to set any thing up either . he stayed on that same set up window the whole video to show me all the things you can do to set up MP to work right. Well on that same window on each tab to click on theres only a few things to select from for me!! But when he opens up any other tab he can do all kinds of things to make he's MP to work the way he wants it too. But in the very beinging he 1st sets up that MP TV tuner card tab to configure his TV stations. When you see the 1st part of the video, his TV tuner card comes up automatically there. the MP softwear program puts his card there in the window for him so he can start to set up his MP to work the way its supposed to work because his download and installed MP program puts his TV card there for him and theres no way to tpye in mine there at that spot, it has to be there automatically. So i can't figure out why the softwear program wont install right on my vista home premium 32 bit computer, so I can set it up to work like he just show me how and all the other ppl that install it then just do the simple set up so the program will work right. But hell no its just my dam luck nothing works right for me 95 % of the time. Thanks for any help??

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Yup looks like your tv card is not supported or not detected/installed correctly. If your tv card is not listed here then you can't use mediaportal to watch tv.

You mentioned MCE stoped working as well, I would recommend you format your windows hard drive and reinstall windows MCE, and maybe that will work for you again.

(or) you could try remove/uninstall the tv card driver in device manager then reinstall it.

EDIT: There is also an option to roll back the driver, if you had a driver update around the time the tuner stopped working then this might fix it

device-manager-uninstall-400x296.png

c02739781.gif

^obviously you need to do this with the tv tuner

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello

A quick search of the forum suggests that other people have had problems with ViXS tuners. Some not so recent threads, yes, but others that I remember responding to as well. If the tuner doesn't show in TV Server configuration it is either not supported or you haven't installed the BDA driver (you may have installed the WDM driver). I suggest you post logs.

mm

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    This guys tv tuner was working perfectly with Windows MCE for a couple of years then his tuner stopped working in MCE so he switched to MP. It's likely a bad driver/corrupt driver or a corrupt windows installation. But yes you should post log file, I think the tvserver log file is in the tvserver folder.

Last edited:

curt2012

November 16, 2012
    Home Country
    Hello and thanks for all the good replies, that's nice of ya to help me out,THX. Ok, How did you find out my ViXS tv tuner model number is not good enough to work with media portal specs? Tell me if there's a list with the specs at MP, to see what TV card is the lowest that will work with MP?? And could you please tell me what the TV card looks like and where is it on the mother board so i can see if its just came loose or a wire not hooked up right?? Or is it on the TV tuner board where i hook up the cable to the back of the computer?? And you said I need to install the BDA driver? What does BDA stand for and you said i just mite have WDM driver. What does WDM stand for too?? And where can i go to get the BDA driver?? I hope sourceforge.net or opensource.org will have a driver just for my ViXS TV card?? Thanks for answering these ?'s for me, it will help out a lot to know those answers?? and do you think a place like tigerdirect or newegg or tell me another electronic web site that would have a TV card board for my vista that's about 6 years old now?? Is the TV card hooked up on the electronic board TV Tuner Board) at the lower back of my computer where i hook up my cable to one of the connections so i can watch TV shows?? or is the TV card apart of the whole electronic board where i would have to buy the whole big TV Tuner board again or what?? Thanks for helping me to understand those ?'s, so I will know what to do next, if I ever want to watch Live TV on my computer again or if its a simple fix by finding the right driver ( thats the hard part too) like you said the BDA driver mite do the trick and then I can use media portal?? Thanks for all the help??!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom