I Need some help with a problem. 2 screens remote/keyboard problem. (1 Viewer)

snake_lorenzo

Portal Member
March 24, 2013
Home Country
Canada Canada
Hi Mediaportal people.

Not sure where to post this but I need some help.

I'm having a problem i'm hoping you can help with.
I run media portal on a separate tv via hdmi and use my computer screen for internet browsing etc.

The problem is that I use a wmc remote for media portal but as i switch from one screen to the next so does the keyboard and remote function.

Like for example i'll start a movie in media portal then switch back to my computer and type something in my browser and instead of typing it switchs functions in mediaportal.

I have to keep clicking with the mouse on each opposite screen to use the keyboard or remote again.

Is there any fix to stop this ?

Thanks.

snake_lorenzo

Portal Member
March 24, 2013
Home Country
Canada Canada
Or perhaps is there a way to disable the keyboard completely in mediportal and just strictly use a wmc remote ?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Heya

If you were to force me to guess, I might say do you have the "keep MediaPortal always on top" option enabled?
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...guration/11_General/5_Startup_Resume_Settings

Would be really helpful if you could post logs as requested on FB. This gives us a snapshot of your settings. As it stands, we don't even know which version of MP you're using... so everything is guesswork.
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_..._Non_Reproducible_Problems_within_MediaPortal

Should take less than two minutes.

mm

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I note...
    With windows, the mouse and keyboard focus stays with the program that you last interacted with. In other words, to continue your example if you play that movie in MP then switch to your computer you have to give focus to the browser (by clicking on or otherwise activating the window) before the mouse and keyboard work in that window.

snake_lorenzo

Portal Member
    March 24, 2013
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Thanks for the reply :)
    Here is two log files.

Sorry about the lack of info's. I'm using MP V.2.

With windows, the mouse and keyboard focus stays with the program that you last interacted with. In other words, to continue your example if you play that movie in MP then switch to your computer you have to give focus to the browser (by clicking on or otherwise activating the window) before the mouse and keyboard work in that window.

That's just it. I start MP, choose a movie, download subtitles and then start the movie. Switch back to my computer screen and start surfing the web or whatever else.
    Then if I need to switch back to mediaportal on external screen, the focus is gone.

The thing I don't want it to do is steal focus from the wmc remote. Then I have to go click on the mp screen just to use the remote again. It's silly lol.
    Also if there was a way to disable the keyboard in MP would be great too, because I only ever use the remote.

Basically it's like I just want to use the remote on external screen with mediaportal and nothing else and the keyboard on main screen with computer tasks (browser,documents etc) without focus being stolen from one another and put on opposing screens.

I reckon if this is a windows issue, The answer is not within mediaportal but with windows itself ?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    The thing I don't want it to do is steal focus from the wmc remote. Then I have to go click on the mp screen just to use the remote again. It's silly lol.
    As above: it may be silly but unfortunately for you it is totally standard and normal for Windows.

Also if there was a way to disable the keyboard in MP would be great too, because I only ever use the remote.
    There's no way I'm aware of except pulling the plug or disabling the keyboard in device manager... which would prevent the keyboard working with your regular PC apps (browser etc.).

Basically it's like I just want to use the remote on external screen with mediaportal and nothing else and the keyboard on main screen with computer tasks (browser,documents etc) without focus being stolen from one another and put on opposing screens.
    Hmmm...
    I wonder if you could use EventGhost to solve this problem. The first step would be to get EG to detect the difference between keyboard key presses and remote key presses. Then you could configure it in such a way as to automatically give focus and pass the event to MP when a remote key is pressed. Not sure how you'd handle giving focus back to the Windows application when the mouse is moved or keyboard key is pressed, but maybe just de-focusing MP would be enough.

I reckon if this is a windows issue, The answer is not within mediaportal but with windows itself ?

I'd agree the answer is probably not within MP, but I don't think Windows has an out-of-the-box solution for you either. I suggest you give EventGhost a shot and see what you can do with it.
    http://www.eventghost.org/

Its free! :)

snake_lorenzo

Portal Member
    March 24, 2013
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    That sucks lol

I read that it's possible to edit the registry to get windows to stop stealing focus and what not. Might try that.

Maybe yous guys can muster a fix for a future release or something.

Anyway, thanks for the help and keep up the good work on this awesome software.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom