I want help in tvserver 3.5 development but ... (1 Viewer)

sdf

Portal Pro
September 29, 2006
Home Country
Italy Italy
There's need for a client, or, at least, to implement a minimal set of features in the client for a seroius testing.
It seems to me that tvserver 3.5, also if it's in an alpha state, is very promising and well made.
The real problem is the interface (client) that doesn't allow minimal zapping features.
Some suggestions:
1) Implement channel change shortcuts (pg+/pg-, etc.)
2) In server configuration, please allow to change order of groups;
3) In the client, when I change a group, tv doen't have to start automatically, but only after clicking on a channel (otherwiase, if the first channel of the group is crypted, we have to wait too long);
4) This is a request for mm1352000: is it possible for MP not to wait for a signal and answer to a channel change request also if the former is not completed? I explain myself better: if I want to see a channel, and there's no signal, I want to change immediately to another channel without having to wait for the error message of the server).
5) Possibility to try different client (i.e. kodi, but there's no plugin).
I'm making this request because I'v tried mp2, but can't understand if the problems are server or client related.
Thank you,
sdf

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello sdf,

thanks for your interest :)

Some of your points are already there, others need more explanation. So I try to comment each number.
    1) This is already implemented: in TV fulllscreen the pg+/- are mapped to zap next/prev. See also http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/2_MEDIAPORTAL_2/9_Reference/Keyboard_shortcuts for more details (I've just seen myself this info is missing, going to add it later ;))
    2) This feature has been competely reworked by mm and it will be available once the pending changes are published
    3) Could you explain this a bit more in detail? Usually when you chane a channel group no automatical tuning to a channel is done (from miniguide, epg). Tuning starts when a channel get selected (by "ok", enter)
    4) Not sure, but IIRC there was a change in TVE3.5 already to cancel tune calls before they are finished. Probably this is not yet supported by MP2. (@gibman ?)
    5) I don't know other clients yet, sorry.

sdf

Portal Pro
    September 29, 2006
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Hello morpheus_xx
    thank you very much, MP2 is wonderful, and is a real improvement over MP1.
    Sorry for my english, will try to explain the best as I can.
    1) I know of pg+/pg-, but doesn't work .. sort of. Sometimes the channel's order is not respected; it's like miniepg and fullscreen are not aligned (fullscreen is channel 1 and miniepg has channel 2). The only things that works is clicking on a channel. Anyway the keyboard reference is a good help.
    2) Thank you
    3) This problem is related to number 2. if I can't change groups order, I have to cycle beetween group to test, i.e. fm radio. Every time I cycle between group. MP2 starts timeshifting the first channel of that group, becoming unresponsive (if the channel is crypted, not available anymore, etc.).. In my configuration every time I change a group there's an automatic tuning to the first channel, and this is related also to number 4).
    4) Thank you! if implemented, this is a killing feature for tv zappers.
    If I can add a number 6), please add channel select by number, and also channel numbering in tvserver interface.
    Last but not least, a good number 7) could be as an alternative to number 5) the possibility to stream to android clients (I tried dlna plugin but does't support tv and radio channels).
    Sorry I'm suggesting only things form a final user's perspective.
    Don't think I can help too much in programming, but can test almost everything: dvb-t, dvb-s, analog fm, lan, etc.
    Anyway thank you to you, mm1352000 and all the team for the wonderful job.
    Bye,
    sdf

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    1) Regarding the zapping order inside miniguide/OSD: are you using the latest Weekly builds with TVE3(.5) from here https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/mediaportal-2-weekly-snapshot-2015-02-22.129821/?

I had changed some codeparts already to keep the channel / groups in sync in all screens. Before it could happen that group changes in miniguide/full EPG and OSD where not aligned at all (different models kept differnent indexes). But there still can be minor issues left over.

3) Changing groups from miniguide is working like in MP1, open miniguide from TV fullscreen (Ok, Enter), then you can switch groups by left/right. Tuning of channels will happen first if you hit "ok" on a channel of the current list. I always felt it way more efficient to switch / browse channels this way.

Sorry I'm suggesting only things form a final user's perspective.
    Don't think I can help too much in programming, but can test almost everything: dvb-t, dvb-s, analog fm, lan, etc.
    No need to be sorry, such feedback we really appreciate! It helps to make TV support better.

sdf

Portal Pro
    September 29, 2006
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    1) Yes, I'm using latest weekly snapshot
    2) Seems to me there's still something not in sync
    3) Ok, will try again maybe I'm doing something wrong
    Thank you,
    sdf

gibman

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 4, 2006
    Aarhus
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    tve 3.5 serverside supports async channel changing (#4).
    It can be seen when trying to change channel in setuptv.
    Most easily seen if you have some random channel that exhibits the "no PMT" error or some other similar channel tuning failure.
    Once you are trying to lock onto this channel you are able to tune to the next channel.

It almost works in mp1 as well.

One showstopper is the lack of async support in tsreader and mp code itself.
    Once the directshow graph is in play you have to sit and wait for it before being able to change channel.

More detailed info here:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/tve3-5-asynch-channel-tuning.116623/

internal forum though :(

/gibman

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    We need to work with callback, when directshow is building graph or component of the graph need to be done, MP is freeze because directshow graph is in main thread.
    I have port the sync tune with help of gibman for TVE3, and it works really better, i mean i can tune another channel if current one didn't work for any reason but when the directshow graph is build or setup, MP can be freezed lol.

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    And an explanation from Tourettes :

Tv plugin could create a worker thread
    That thread would create the TsReader, make tune requests, seeking requests etc.
    MP main thread (or any other thread) would send commands to the worker thread to do the requested things
    No clue how complex that is to implement in the tv plugin and MP code - semi hard at least as there is lot of spagetthi around :)

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    About that async tuning - you would probably need to create a separate thread that handles all the DS related calls / communication. And then drive that thread by commands (using events for example)
    That way the UI thread will stay non-blocked all the time and the worker thread will handle the long lasting calls to the DS (TsReader etc.)
    Basicly you need to find out what type of "commands" there are (all calls to DS from tv plugin should be analyzed) for ex : graph building, seeking, pause, play, tuning...
    Also all tve side communication should be handled by that new worker thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom