Operating System Ideal Thin Client HTPC? (1 Viewer)

mihooper

August 21, 2011
First post! Very excited to re-enter the HTPC world!

I have a clean slate (actually currently using SageTV which was acquired and squashed by Google) and would like to take advantage of the newest technologies (CPU/GPU) for a new HTPC build.

I would run MP on a headless server in a remote closet that controls my tuner(s) (cable, HD Homerun, Hauppauge HD-PVR). So I am looking for a "silent", "thin" (ie cheap, small) client that would replace my existing SageTV extenders.

So this ideal client would only need a LAN connection and a network connection for streaming from the server. The client would either need an HDMI or component connection to my TV.

Several folks have complained about fan noise and heat on some of the new hardware packages (ie Zotac), so the ASUS E35M1-I DELUXE Fusion AMD E-350 APU (1.6GHz, Dual-Core) AMD Hudson M1 Mini ITX Motherboard/CPU Combo seems to be ideal from a heat/power/noise perspective. It has a single PCI express slot, which I guess I could use for a more powerful GPU if necessary. If I add a case/PSU, Win7, RAM to this motherboard combo what else would I need?

Is this today's "ideal thin HTPC client"? Any other suggestions?

Thx,

MikeH

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi and welcome :).
    Great first post - not much to add, as you've seem to have thought things trough.

The E-350 has gotten a more powerful sibling, the E-450. Might be worth looking into.

If I were to build myself a Fusion-based HTPC, I'd try to stay clear of a traditional PSU and go for a passive adapter (65 W should cover it).

PS: People say that I complain to much about noise, but I got to admit that my current setup (see "my system") never bothers me :)thx: goes to Speedfan).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom