If you lose power when recording- is the recorded file garbage? (1 Viewer)

wmcftw

Portal Member
November 2, 2014
Home Country
Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
Hi

I set Mepo to record something and before the programme concluded- my laptop shut down

However, the library is showing a 2.54gb recording of the show......but it refuses to play

Can I ever be able to salvage that recording? I would upload logs.....but not sure if that would help

Incidentally, I was recording Deal or No Deal on Channel 4 +1 at 17:00 today

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    but it refuses to play
    Honestly I'm a bit surprised it doesn't play at all. Which software have you tried?

Can I ever be able to salvage that recording?
    Maybe. You may be able to use a binary/hex editor and chop out any cruft at the start/end. Of course the recording itself would never be complete, but this might enable you to watch up to the point of the cut... assuming the file is not complete garbage.

I would upload logs.....but not sure if that would help
    Yeah, nothing except access to the file itself would help in this case.
    Would you be open to the possibility of a short remote access (TeamViewer) session?

wmcftw

Portal Member
    November 2, 2014
    Home Country
    I will see if I can convert the file. I think a windows update just forced a system shutdown/restart while recording.

I will update you after I have tried to convert the t.s file

wmcftw

Portal Member
    November 2, 2014
    Home Country
    The file will not play with VLC or WMP. It also will not convert in handbrake. As it is a hd file I have no means to split it

It is taking up space and so I will just delete it. I think when using Mepo to record and you lose power it ruins the output and thus it is garbage as I suspected.

The remote access is a nice offer- but I just want to delete that pesky file!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom