IMDB+ Naming Convention of Movie Series (1 Viewer)

Bernard

Portal Pro
March 5, 2012
Centurion
Home Country
South Africa South Africa
Branched from off topic post in thread: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...ame-database-system.103539/page-8#post-950265

Infact I found a 5th Home Alone movie as well that I added when verifying them real quick.

Is there a easy way to see movie series online? Or do you do 'n manual search (like I'm doing) on IMDb? (You can't really be so up to date with the movie series by just casually browsing the IMDb's "Newest Entries" list?)

But your last addition is already in the default one as per:

Code:
<rename id="tt0117060" title="Mission: Impossible I" />
<rename id="tt0120755" title="Mission: Impossible II" />
<rename id="tt0317919" title="Mission: Impossible III" />
<rename id="tt1229238" title="Mission: Impossible IV - Ghost Protocol" />
<rename id="tt2381249" title="Mission: Impossible V" />

Now you might prefer your naming scheme, but that is why there is the "Rename dBase IMDb+ Scraper (Custom).xml" option for you to go wild with

The 'first' movie is what mainly decide the naming scheme for me, and they call it "Mission: Impossible" for that one.

Dammit! I was wondering if it's already coming from the original script list, but the naming was kind of "off" by the trend I was seeing, being:

{series name} {numeral}[:{chapter heading if any}]

The "Mission: Impossible IV - Ghost Protocol" threw me off. But I'm not interested in renaming the wheel, I just want my movie series to be grouped.

The "custom" script is only a freaking nice way to get my movie collection "fixed" NOW! Rather than waiting for updates.

I am however working on a new enhancement of IMDb+ that will offer an acronym option for long title movies. For example "Lord of the Rings" becomes "LotR" and this series then uses "M:I". Still playing around with that, because while a long title such as "The Lord of the Rings I: Fellowship of the Ring" benefits from being named "LotR I: Fellowship of the Ring" to mimimize horizontal title scrolling, it is less of an issue on the M:I series. But somebody else might want it for all movie-series titles that actually use acronyms, with M:I being the perfect example.

Right now my idea is to offer an additional option to configure the amount of letters a title has to be before the acronym would then be used (if one exists), with 20 as the default setting. This would then skip M:I by default, but work for LotR, PotC, NoES, CotC, D&D, LC:TR, RotLD, TCoN, and F&tF.

Am kinda awaiting for MovingPictures Titan skin and see how many characters will be reserved for titles before horizontal scrolling is required.
When I started reading this, I immediately thought, man I don't like acronyms! But it would be helpful for loooong names. And then I realized you've spend a lot of time thinking about this and have already identified my need.

So I love this idea, vertical scrolling sucks in long names, but I don't want to have everything shortened in the list.

PS. Why are you "waiting" for the Moving Pictures Titan skin? I'm on 1.3.0 Beta with Titan, MovingPictures is not complaining of missing skin files (like IMBD+ is, *cough*) so is this not the "official" Titan skin then for MoPic?

PPS. I have to switch to the default skin to be able to access the IMDb+ settings in the GUI, is this correct or should it be working in Titan already? (So I should be looking at a fixing my broken setup)[DOUBLEPOST=1356950159][/DOUBLEPOST]
(Both are named "Public Enemies" in MovPic)

I usually go by popularity in IMDb search results, combined with ratings of the movie and a rough idea on what majority of users expect.

In this case the "Public Enemies (2009)" is bound to be in majority of users collection and most will never have the 1996 version in their collection. My preference is then to not let those users even notice anything, so the 2009 version keeps the title as-is. This means the 1996 would cause a conflict and has to be renamed.

Terms I've used are (<country-of-origin>), (TV), (Original), (Classic), (Cult), (Remake), (Reboot), and a few more.

The 2009 version is not a (Remake) of the 1996 one; it is a total new script which also leaves out (Original). I reserve the (Reboot) term for movie-series that are redone from scratch.

So then I prefer to go with (Classic) to indicate it is an older version of the same story. However the very low 2.8 rating does allow usage of (Cult) as well.

Since you are the one who brought up the title conflict, you get to pick; (Classic) or (Cult).

With 1700 entries under your belt you must have a system for almost every case!

It borderlines the insane sometimes indeed, especially when some series get a reboot on the remake. However it is a little bit of effort that goes a long way for a lot of users (almost 30k now if the Google code download counter is accurate). All the rename entries used to be 100% based on my own collection, but that has long since not been the case anymore. Adding series/title-conflicts for other users is still interesting for myself as well, because it sometimes introduces me to new movies or reminds me to dig up an oldie I forgot about.
[DOUBLEPOST=1356951038][/DOUBLEPOST]
I usually go by popularity in IMDb search results, combined with ...

Just as I said, a very elaborate system! So please "crit" my suggestions (which I will post the complete list in the other thread when I'm done). Because I did not check on all these things...

The 2009 version is not a (Remake) of the 1996 one; it is a total new script which also leaves out (Original). I reserve the (Reboot) term for movie-series that are redone from scratch.

So then I prefer to go with (Classic) to indicate it is an older version of the same story. However the very low 2.8 rating does allow usage of (Cult) as well.

Since you are the one who brought up the title conflict, you get to pick; (Classic) or (Cult).

(Classic) just sound like you give credit to the guys that newer generations has learned from... so this would be a nice pick (thought I will only ever see it :p) I would think the 2.8 rating is low because it is before the time of IMDb, and no one is interested in old movies if there is such a great variety of new ones! It may have been a great movie in it's time, for what was available.

Adding series/title-conflicts for other users is still interesting for myself as well, because it sometimes introduces me to new movies or reminds me to dig up an oldie I forgot about.

That is exactly why I'm so excited that the rename list is local and not run through an online Db. If a movie makes this list, it is worth watching. Especially if they make 4 or more sequels. If I can only find the time to watch them all!

Last edited:

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Is there a easy way to see movie series online? Or do you do 'n manual search (like I'm doing) on IMDb? (You can't really be so up to date with the movie series by just casually browsing the IMDb's "Newest Entries" list?)

It is not uncommon for me to pause a movie (or wait till it is over) and jump on imdb.com to find out where I remember that actor from, or settle an argument on personal info of the actor (age for example). This then alerts me a lot of time to the (Filming), (In Production), (announced), etc entries that are listed at the top of their filmography. Whenever I notice a movie-series I forward the info to my development box, so I can look at it in more detail later. Before you know it you are playing a variation of "Six degrees of separation" and a bunch of movie series make their way into IMDb+. For example today I had already added James Bond 24 and 25, when the 23rd one called "Skyfall" is still in theaters. I just happen to notice them on Daniel Craig's bio-page.

This is why you are mainly noticing the older movie series. I might even have them myself, but it is easy to overlook a movie series not being renamed, as you found out yourself with M:I-4.

PS. Why are you "waiting" for the Moving Pictures Titan skin? I'm on 1.3.0 Beta with Titan, MovingPictures is not complaining of missing skin files (like IMBD+ is, *cough*) so is this not the "official" Titan skin then for MoPic?

PPS. I have to switch to the default skin to be able to access the IMDb+ settings in the GUI, is this correct or should it be working in Titan already? (So I should be looking at a fixing my broken setup)

Just copy IMDb+.xml from DefaultWide to Titan skin folder and it 'should' work. Skin is extremly basic so I doubt it will cause any conflict (aside from looking totally different in style). I just have not found the time to mess with MediaPortal v1.3 at all. Hell, I'm still running v1.2.1 on my production box, because due to WAF I can not break things that are not broken (she hates change), and the box runs 24/7 without any issues for many days (sometimes weeks) in a row.

But I do want to make a Titan specific skin; just have not found any time to look at that. Maybe some IMDb+ user is handy with skin development, and I'll be happy to accept their contributions. It is open-source for a reason after all (y)

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    If a movie makes this list, it is worth watching.

That is a future enhancement that is planned. The ability to check via IMDb+ plugin if you are perhaps missing a movie in your collection that is part of a movie-series. But this is a lot more IMDb+ C# coding that I have the time for right now, so it is shelved for the time being.

Updating rename entries or making forum posts to assist others is easy and breaks up a long day of work nicely. Finding days/weeks of free time to do the larger projects for IMDb+ is a luxery I do not have right now. It is so bad right now that I do not even have a full day of time available to upgrade my main HTPC with new case, new HDDs and other parts I scored a good deal on at BlackFriday. Sure I can do an hour here, or an hour there and spread it out over a week or more, but then the current HTPC would be down during all that time, and I would be featured in an episode of "Snapped" as my wife would kill me :rolleyes:

TheBatfink

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Nottingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Last edited:

Bernard

Portal Pro
    March 5, 2012
    Centurion
    Home Country
    I just have not found the time to mess with MediaPortal v1.3 at all. Hell, I'm still running v1.2.1 on my production box, because due to WAF I can not break things that are not broken (she hates change), and the box runs 24/7 without any issues for many days (sometimes weeks) in a row.

So far the 1.3.0 Beta is quite stable. But I'm having more problems with the MovingPictures importer than anything else! I only use my MediaPortal for watching movies and series, no TV, so I spend all my time on MP-TVSeries and MovingPictures. The broadcasted TV in SA is not that good.

But I do want to make a Titan specific skin; just have not found any time to look at that. Maybe some IMDb+ user is handy with skin development, and I'll be happy to accept their contributions. It is open-source for a reason after all (y)

I would say you should not spend to much on this, I hardly ever visit the IMDB+ GUI unless I'm setting up a new PC. The MovingPictures importer seems to always mess up the script sequence (putting other in front of IMDb+). So I have to "reset and refresh" once in a while. And the current GUI gives me everything I need: Status and all necessary options.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    So far the 1.3.0 Beta is quite stable. But I'm having more problems with the MovingPictures importer than anything else! I only use my MediaPortal for watching movies and series, no TV, so I spend all my time on MP-TVSeries and MovingPictures. The broadcasted TV in SA is not that good.

I spend most time in MP-TVSeries, it is much easier to reserve some time to watch a half hour comedy or an hour show then it is to sit down for a 2.5 hour movie such as Lincoln. The quality of TV series is also much higher now, so a show such as Dexter can turn into a monster movie once you are sucked in and can not stand the cliffhanger ending when you have an entire season queued up. Queuing a season is my fav. way to watch a TV-show now, as soo many new shows get cancelled early so I rather wait till I know it has been renewed for next season, or they wrapped up the story proper if it ends. Some cancelled shows I still watch, because even with an open-end I can still enjoy them and will be prepared for that ahead of time.

I would say you should not spend to much on this, I hardly ever visit the IMDB+ GUI unless I'm setting up a new PC. The MovingPictures importer seems to always mess up the script sequence (putting other in front of IMDb+). So I have to "reset and refresh" once in a while. And the current GUI gives me everything I need: Status and all necessary options.

I didn't plan to spend hardly any time on it, just wanted to ensure it looked proper in Titan skin style. But I notice now from @TheBatfink post that the work has already been done for me by the Titan skin contributors, so even better :)

Will have to copy it for myself and include it with IMDb+ plugin, as I do need/want to support all the default skins by default for when I add features that require skin modifications.

Bernard

Portal Pro
    March 5, 2012
    Centurion
    Home Country
    Regarding the Titan IMDB+ skin, I don't think you need to worry. Ncoh has marked it as present in the next update to Titan Extended so he or someone must of already done a skin if it wasn't you. There is also a temp skin file in the Titan Extended thread here - https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/titan-extended.114551/page-2#post-943153 which you can use that is a tailored IMDB+ skin.

I downloaded and tested the skin, they did excellent work! Love the way they laid it out!

Last edited:

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    I downloaded and tested the skin, they did excellent work! Love the way they laid it out!

Can I bother you for a screenshot of a few parts on IMDb+ plugin?

Won't have time to mess with MePo v1.3+ for the time being, but like to see that new layout.

Bernard

Portal Pro
    March 5, 2012
    Centurion
    Home Country
    Can I bother you for a screenshot of a few parts on IMDb+ plugin?

Here is a few screenshots of the areas that I could open so quickly!

ScreenShot001.jpgScreenShot002.jpgScreenShot003.jpgScreenShot004.jpgScreenShot005.jpgScreenShot007.jpg

Selecting a option to refresh:

ScreenShot006.jpg

Look at the progress on the top left corner:

ScreenShot008.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom