IMDb+ Scraper v3.3.5 (1 Viewer)

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Ok, IMDb+ scraper script v3.3.5 will auto update within the next 24 hours. Unfortunatly for those running their system 24/7 this will mean a possible update notification while watching a movie, but you will be able to disable this behaviour on the next IMDb+ plugin release.

The new IMDb+ plugin will also allow you to "Force IMDb+..." on any other existing scraper-script imported movie as well, such as TheMovieDb one, and a few more improvements.

As for the fixes in the scraper-script, they include a rare case at RottenTomatoes with movies having no scores on some critics which was disabling the other critics score as well. It also ignores any "TV Series" during the search node process, so "Ghostbusters.avi" will once again match up correctly with the 1984 movie (named "Ghost Busters" hence the problem) and not the "Ghostbusters" 1986 TV-Series.

This is only during the search step, as there is still support for "TV Series" on a direct match lookup via IMDb tt-ID or when it is the only search result that imdb.com comes up with, this is for "Planet Earth" and other awesome TV-Series that some users might prefer to have catalogged in MovingPictures instead of MP-TVSeries. For this reason it will not be a seperate option where you can enable/disable the behaviour, as it turned out this was actually all caused by a change at IMDb website.

The scraper script will also now clean up any titles surrounded by single quotes, such as 'Tamara Drewe' (2010).

Hopefully this weekend I can release v3.3.6 which will add support for Canadian, Australian and New Zealand certifications, as well as a simple debug system to help me diagnose any scraper-script problems much easier should they ever surface. I'm also working on a list of 350 movie titles that will be added to the rename database, to solve a few of the duplicated titles. If the movies share the same plot, then I'll be using the "(Original)" or "(Remake)" moniker on the least popular verion. But if the movies share nothing else but the title, then I'm not sure yet. The IMDb website solves this via "(I)" and "(II)", but I'm wondering if that might become confusing with the existing series method used, and they only cover duplicate titles in same year with that.

Example:

Noise (2002)
    Noise (2004)
    Noise (I) (2007)
    Noise (II) (2007)

If you happen to have all these movies, then you see 4x "Noise" in your list. Of course you can scroll over each one individually to use the artwork and details to find out which one is what, but the problem is that MovingPictures has a small bug still where the artwork from the first movie imported gets re-used when the title is the same. By adding "(I)" to first and higher to the next, there is the risk that somebody might see a movie with a high number and wonder where the others are, especially if they have no intention to add those to their collection.

Dilemma :mad:

The solutions I've been pondering with is to add the most famous/top-billed actor from each of the movies to the title. So you would get "Noise (Tim Robbins)", etc, and actually trying to exclude those shenanigans from the most popular movies, so the one with Tim would become just "Noise" and all the others would get the "(actor)" moniker.

So this is only a problem on the movies with same title that do not share the same plot, and they all need to at least be somewhat popular movies otherwise the rename database becomes too large to handle (you would be amazed how many duplicate title entries there are at imdb.com, rough check gave me over 2500 movies, which I cut down to 350 and plan to do another pass/check this weekend).

Or does anybody have a better idea? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom