[Approved] Improve support for analog cards that use software encoders (2 Viewers)

sdf

Portal Pro
September 29, 2006
Home Country
Italy Italy
sorry mm1352000,
I've tried last saturday (it's on the PC I have at home, now I'm at work) but the graph didn't work.
Will try next saturday and post the graph
Thank you,
sdf

sdf

Portal Pro
September 29, 2006
Home Country
Italy Italy
Here it is
I've used ati encoder that doesn't need a splitter and can encode also into mp3 (maybe useful for recording directly into mp3)
Of course various combinations of encoders/splitters can work the same.
Anyway, this works with my Pinnacle 3010iX (Philips 7162 chipset)
Bye,
sdf

Attachments

• pinnacle.zip
    1.6 KB

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I thought you were going to provide me with a graph with the PCTV Systems/Pinnacle encoders? I was only interested to see if I could get them to work in MediaPortal. I already know that the ATI encoders work. Never mind, thanks anyway...
    :D

sdf

Portal Pro
    September 29, 2006
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Ok, I will make another graph with Pinnacle/PCTV encoders
    bye,
    sdf

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi all

Version two of this patch is now available from the first post of this thread. Personally I think it is much better than the first version. All outstanding issues and improvements that I am aware of are now complete.

:)

sdf

Portal Pro
    September 29, 2006
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    I've tried 27231 binaries and now (with ATI Avivo codecs) analog FM radio works perfectly.
    The only problem is that channel changing is very slow (10-12 seconds).
    Channel changing with dvb-t and dvb-s radio is fast lightning (1 sec).
    There's a chance to try your patch with some binaries (I can't compile MP)?
    Thank you,
    sdf

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again sdf

I've tried 27231 binaries and now (with ATI Avivo codecs) analog FM radio works perfectly.
    That is probably because it includes my FM radio patch that I told you about earlier (it was added to SVN and will be in 1.2.0b).
    The only problem is that channel changing is very slow (10-12 seconds).
    Channel changing with dvb-t and dvb-s radio is fast lightning (1 sec).
    There's a chance to try your patch with some binaries (I can't compile MP)?
    Can you post logs please (see the link in my signature).
    What version of MediaPortal are you using?
    I can probably manage if it is 1.2.0a. Versions 1.1.1 and 1.1.2 would be *much* harder...

sdf

Portal Pro
    September 29, 2006
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Version is 1.1.6.27231.
    Ok, will post logs, tuning first analog radio and then digital radio.
    Thank you mm1352000

sdf

Portal Pro
    September 29, 2006
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Ok, here are my logs.
    I tuned first dvb channels (channels starting with "D-"), and then analog channels (starting with "R-").
    Tuning analog channels is very slow, but at least there are no more errors or tuning failures.
    Thank you mm1352000,
    sdf

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again

The first tune took around 15 seconds:
    - There is ~1 second for normal TV Server tuning processes - no improvement possible.
    . There is ~2 seconds taken by a process (graph building) that doesn't need to happen. This is part of the second performance issue that I mentioned in the first post of this thread. It is already fixed in 1.2.0b - no further improvement possible.
    - Finally, there is another 12 seconds spent waiting for audio to arrive. That is *very* slow...

After the first tune, other tunes took about 6 seconds. Of course that is still slow, but it is better than the first tune. Just for comparison, on my 7010ix cards it takes about the same time: 11 seconds for first tune, ~6 seconds after that.

What can be done?
    There are really only two things that I can think of that might improve the speed.
    1. Reduce the TsReader/TsWriter buffer size for radio. Miroslav22's stuttering fix does this so I'm going to try it. I'll let you know if it helps.
    2. Make improvements in the tuner driver. We can't do anything about this except to try other versions. The newest version is usually recommended. I'm using the Blackgold BGT3540 drivers so maybe the Pinnacle drivers are better, but I'd rather have the stability from the Blackgold than any speed from Pinnacle.

You asked me for a binary. I don't think I can do that since you seem to be using an SVN build already so I guess you have other custom patches...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom