Improving Menu structure (1 Viewer)

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I don't like this idea. There are groups with 1, 2 or three tiles. Such groups only looks nice if you have bigger tiles. The default pictures section already is really ugly in default menu configuration as thew tile is way too small:
    Thats right, the visual appearance will be not ideal in some cases. Perhaps we find even a solution for this.
    In general an InGui MenuEditor is a really big step and as we plan it for the WMC skin, it would be better to find a way covering all skins at once.

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    What I could assume is, that there are some predefined assemblies and the user can choose one. For the hardcore users as you are xml editing could be still an option additionally ;)

Here some examples. MP2 sees how many Guid-ID's are assigned to a Group and accordingly the user can decide between e.g. 3 pre-defined settings. I think for most users this would be enough.
    upload_2016-2-14_21-19-55.png

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    In general an InGui MenuEditor is a really big step
    Agree 100%
    It would be cool if we get the whole menu model more flexible for usage by skinners and users. As example I really would love to have a menu structure like it is in the MP1 Backdrop or Pure Vision Skin. It is a simple text menu where the group elements are popping up once the group is selected. Different background images are visually representing the selected item. That would fit my preferences much more than any menu available today...
    As example how it could look like some screenshots of PureVision:
    screen-1-jpg.120385

This is the TV group.

And here are the movies:
    screen-3-jpg.120387

Here are the Series. This is displaying a random series fanart as background because the focus is on a sub- item, not on the main group
    screen-2-jpg.120386

And the settings as last example:
    screen-8-jpg.120392

I think it's understandable how it should work. I can live with 5 elements maximum per group, no problem. And the changing backgrounds are done by backgroundmanager plugin already. Only the menu structure itself is not available atm...

This is how I would love to have the menu working. I can imagine other people want other things so to be as flexible as possible would be the best to do.

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    That would fit my preferences much more than any menu available today...
    You will be happy, this is same as the WMC menu structure and there is a working version (but not public) :) Just the fine tuning is missing.
    Only difference between your menu and WMC is the visual appearance and the positioning

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    So I can start building "MY" skin based on WMC Skin (or is it a theme?) as soon as it is ready. Great. Until then I can "live" with Cloudy theme...

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    So I can start building "MY" skin based on WMC Skin (or is it a theme?) as soon as it is ready. Great. Until then I can "live" with Cloudy theme...
    It's in a very early stage, actually only the menu is available and basic screens, but it's working.
    It will be a new skin from sketch. You can use it as base for your theme.

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Just one thing: Is there any code, that sets the focus on a MenuTile?
    If implemented a way to focus the next tile. It currently considers the moving direction of panel (left, right) and the max/mix "Grid.Column" (respective Grid.Column + Grid.ColumnSpan) of the items. The first one with min/max of position will be used.

That means if there are multiple items with same "left" or "right" side columns, simply the first is selected. Currently I can't find a better way, because I have no information about the last focused item. And there would be so many combinations of old/new positions, that a better algorithmen would be much more complicated.

So for now please check the pushed changes. Should work better now :)

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    So for now please check the pushed changes. Should work better now :)
    I just checked the latest branch and it works pretty well for me :) The focus jumped always to the expected position (y)

These are the only things to be considered
    • Home screen (you mentioned already)
    • I'll do some tests with "autoselect" of group items activated (just to be sure it's working) <WORKS>
    • I'll test, if the selected group item is also correctly marked, if the CP symbol is available and I scrol with the new method through the tiles (just want to see, if the CP symbol is skipped correctly ) <WORKS>

Last edited:

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @morpheus_xx
    Will you merge the new menumodel BV_all_V2 branch and into next weekly? Or do you think its better to wait until the home screen is also sliding in and out correctly?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom