Inconsistent tagging (1 Viewer)

Crom

Portal Member
June 9, 2008
Hi,

I'm hoping that someone can shed some light on this. I normally use mp3tag v2.46 to do my tagging but have recently been giving media monkey a trial.

I've spent quite a while getting my tags sorted out amongst a load of FLAC and MP3 files.

I decided to configure the music views in MP to Album artist > Album > Track but I have been seeing things that just don't add up between the various tagging software.

One example, is that the field 'album artist' is reported to contain three completely different values by the three pieces of software.

Can anyone help explain why this should be and how to sort it - any suggestions other than start again using MPTagThat would be good ;-) - as it is creating a nightmare here!

I'd obviously rather avoid doing it all again because quite apart from the effort, I can well imagine, if I tag everything using as new piece of software, that will create problems if I try then to import the music files into itunes, rockbox...or other music players.

Many thanks,
Crom

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Well you need to find a software which does it right. :)

Album Artist / Band / Orchestra is the TPE2 frame as mentioned here.
    in FLAC files this is called BAND. (if i am not being mistaken)

MPTagThat uses taglib-sharp for writing the tags.
    taglib-sharp is also used within Mediaportal for reading the tags.

So you sould write some AlbumArtist values with the different tag editors and open the mp3 and flac files using a hey editor to see which tags are being filled in.
    For the AlbumArtist to be shown correctly within MP, you need to have TPE2 filled in a MP3 and BAND in a FLAC.

If your mp3rag or mediamonkey does it differently, then AlbumArtist won't show up in Mediaportal.

Crom

Portal Member
    June 9, 2008
    Thanks for the reply. Ha ha, yes you're right :D

I've done a little digging and mp3tag allows you to custom map mp3 tags but not FLAC tags. Having played with this, I can't get it to write to the correct frame (TPE2 for mp3 and BAND for FLAC).

Mediamonkey doesn't appear to allow custom mapping and exhibits the same problem.

I thought it might just be for FLACs but both programs have the problem for both MP3s and FLACs.

I just really wanted to warn people not to bother spending hours with either of these apps if you want to tag your files for use in MP.

Cheers,
    Crom

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom