Info needed regarding CI's (1 Viewer)

fitzy75

Portal Member
January 20, 2007
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hello again, apologies for any spelling mistakes in this, sleepless nights make me do silly things and my brain is a bit fuzzy right now, I'm sure a lot of you know the feeling :p

From a couple of hours Googling I still haven't found an answer to my question.

I currently watch Freesat DVB-S using a Pinnacle 7010ix card tuned to Astra 2D (I think), and being that Astra 2D broadcasts all the Sky channels here in the UK, obviously a large number of the decent ones are scrambled. I am looking into getting the necessary equipment (whatever that may be) to watch these channels legally without a Sky subscription. So far I think I've worked out that I need either a CI module or a CAM, are these the same thing? Or do I need both? How does it link in with my tuner?

I remember something on FreeView DVB-T a few years ago called TopupTV, this was similar to a pre-pay mobile phone from what I remember where you just topup a card and stick it into the receiver when needed. I am hoping to not have to subscribe to an expensive sky package, hopefully I would be able to choose the channels I want (Sky1, MTV, ComedyCentral and a few others) and only pay for those on a 'when-I-can-afford-it' basis rather than be locked into a monthly contract.

I use a desktop PC which has got a few free PCI slots which is what I would be looking to use if necessary, sadly all PCI-e slots are in use.

Can anyone help me out with some advice on this?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi fitzy75

I am looking into getting the necessary equipment (whatever that may be) to watch these channels legally without a Sky subscription.
    If the channels are provided by Sky then there is no way to get them without subscribing to Sky.

So far I think I've worked out that I need either a CI module or a CAM, are these the same thing? Or do I need both?
    A CI module is a slot that you insert a CAM into. See -->here<--.

How does it link in with my tuner?
    Tuners that support decryption functions will either have a built in slot or a second "card" that connects to the main tuner card with a ribbon cable. There are some pictures in the wiki -->here<-- ("CI/CAM" feature explanation). The 7010ix does not have such a slot.

I am hoping to not have to subscribe to an expensive sky package, hopefully I would be able to choose the channels I want (Sky1, MTV, ComedyCentral and a few others) and only pay for those on a 'when-I-can-afford-it' basis rather than be locked into a monthly contract.
    Unfortunately I think the chances of you finding such a deal with the channels that you want is very slim. Providers like Sky bundle channels together to hide the real per-channel costs and cost fluctuations. By doing so they can sometimes negotiate a cheaper price for the content from the channel provider. Hence they rarely offer a'la carte style packages. At least that is true down here...

mm

fitzy75

Portal Member
    January 20, 2007
    Home Country
    Thanks for the very thorough and useful reply. Looks like this won't be a viable option for me then it's a shame really.

Is Comedy Central a scrambled channel for anyone else reading this? When I first setup MP (back when I had 1.1.3) and did the channel scan I deleted all scrambled channels from the list. A few months later, we watched Comedy Central without problems one evening for a show that was on, but upon trying to view it recently it states that it is scrambled and won't let us watch it. This was on 1.1.3 and is still the same on 1.2.1. I'm reluctant to do another channel scan due to the time it takes to scan and also the time it takes to map all the channels again for the TV guide etc.

fitzy75

Portal Member
    January 20, 2007
    Home Country
    Good to know I'm not the only one. Wonder if this is a problem with MP or the broadcast? Guess I should probably start a separate thread as it's a different topic.

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    I didn't look into it at all. I just thought I'd remove it from my favourites group and went no further. Probably a MP thing and it is most likely to be scrambled. You cannot even get Dave from 28.2E, although it is FTA on DVB-T.

M

fitzy75

Portal Member
    January 20, 2007
    Home Country
    Ah ok maybe an MP issue then, seems strange that on the one occasion I wanted to watch it, it worked but hasn't worked since. I'm not too fussed as BBC3 and E4 keeps me busy most of the time :) Would quite like Dave though, must get round to putting up an aerial and hooking up the DVB-T tuners on my card.

erichzann

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 25, 2011
    Oxford
    Home Country
    Hi Both,

This may not be the right thread and I know it is six months old but since you are both from the UK I thought you might be able to answer my question.

I have been using mediaportal for a number of years now with a combination of freesat + freeview tuners.

I am interested to know whether there are any options for CAMs in the UK that would allow for extra TV channels.

Thanks

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi Erichzann,

The only channels that I know of where a CAM is needed for additional channels is for access to Sky, the satellite broadcaster. As far as I know this needs a valid subscription to work, and discussion relating to this is frowned upon in this forum.

A source of information relating to CAM's and access can be found over at the AVForum (>>here<<).. There is much discussion, so you would be better to search out the specifics you need from the AVForums site.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom