Install all "moving" data on a network disk (1 Viewer)

Boris

Portal Pro
June 5, 2005
France
What I want is that the hard drive of the PC is turn off.
Actually, with the config file and data change on that drive, the hard drive is regulary turn on. I think on epg, saving status when changing activity, ...

I try to do an install of MediaPortal on a network disk that I map on the lettre "M:". But security of windows/framework don't permit MediaPortal to work that way.

So my request is that I could put all the datas file elsewhere and just let the mediaportal.exe on the local drive.

Lyxalig

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 30, 2005
    Norway
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Or, you can buy a fairly inexpensive flash-disk, and install MP and windows on that-- :wink:

Boris

Portal Pro
    June 5, 2005
    France
    I don't know very well this type of technology.
    My MediaPortal is on a laptop.
    Could you give me an idea of price for a 10 Gb "flash disk" ? A commercial link ? (I've just search in France in my usual e-commerce site, but nothing found)

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    If you have a lot of RAM you can set up a RAM drive.
    I guess you are trying to minimise power usage and increase your battery life?

Do a search for "RAM Drive" on the forums. There are a couple of good instructions here for that.

Lyxalig

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 30, 2005
    Norway
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    !! 10GB - What are you going to use that for. Keep the XP, and MP install on a ~1-2GB Flash drive. 2gb usb flashdrive costs approx. 180Euro in Norway.

Boris

Portal Pro
    June 5, 2005
    France
    I have 512 MB of memory.
    The goal is the noise... and turning off the drive is one big thing to reduce the noise. Power usage and battery life is not the problem.

I have think of ram drive, but forget about it... I will do a search on the forum.

I really think that 1 or 2 GB for a full windows, mediaportal and some other little thing is not a solution. I primary don't understand that you're talking about USB flashdrive. Price is really big for the amount... At 180 euros, you can have something like 100 GB in 2.5" for laptop, compare to the only 1 or 2...

Lyxalig

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 30, 2005
    Norway
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Well, if noise is your main concern, and you don't want to pay for it, you've got a problem. :wink:

I presented you with an option that creates NO noise, and you reply by stating 100GB HDD is cheaper ??? That creates noise..

Well- If noise of your laptop-hdd is a big problem i sugest you find yourself a big nice case, and create a dedicated HTPC.

Hope it works out for you.

Boris

Portal Pro
    June 5, 2005
    France
    Lyxalig said:
    Well, if noise is your main concern, and you don't want to pay for it, you've got a problem. :wink:
    I'm agree with you, I've got a problem :lol:
    Always the same problem : found the good equation to have what we want at the lower price...
    The laptop I use is dedicated to the HTPC. It has a broken screen...
    When the disk is OFF, noise is ok. But as I say at the beginning, MediaPortal do lot of access to file which often turn ON the drive.
    An easy solution for me is to put MediaPortal on a network drive.

Another solution I investigate... doing an hole in the wall and put the laptop in an other room...

Lyxalig

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 30, 2005
    Norway
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Drilling a hole in the wall is an option :lol:

But, then again you might consider buying a external HDD, and putting that away in a nice noise-proof box.

samuel337

Portal Pro
    August 25, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    Boris said:
    I try to do an install of MediaPortal on a network disk that I map on the lettre "M:". But security of windows/framework don't permit MediaPortal to work that way.

You can change the .NET framework trust for a particular application. To do this, goto Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Configuration.

Now click on the Runtime Security Policy item in the menu-tree.

Now click on the Adjust Zone Security link in the right side of the window.

Select Make Change to this computer, and press Next.

Now select the Local Intranet icon. Then drag the slider to the top - nearest to Full Trust. Press Next.

Press Finish.

MediaPortal should load now from the network location.

HTH

Sam

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom