install problems (1 Viewer)

RobTi

Portal Pro
April 29, 2009
Home Country
Scotland Scotland
Hi all
First time user currently running a customised VMC and then found out about mediaportal and thought that i would give it a try and i have hit a couple of problems trying to instal mediaportal(tried to instal 3 time but keep getting the SQL error and gave up), i have no tv card at the moment but will be installing one in a couple of months after reading up and saving for one, so i pick the option that i want tv
1st question: when installing i choose custom and change all the directories to D:\ is this okay
2nd Question: i keep getting an error message when trying to install the MS SQL Server it keeps asking for a file to be downloaded but even after this has been done it can't find it so i gave up and posted here
3rd Question: what is MS SQL Server and why do i need it
Any help with the above ?
Thanks
Robert

Oh well 50+ views and not 1 answer guess thats why i will stick with VMC

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    (tried to instal 3 time but keep getting the SQL error and gave up), i have no tv card at the moment but will be installing one in a couple of months after reading up and saving for one, so i pick the option that i want tv
    First I would invite you to post the install logs. It is difficult to run a diagnosis when you have no information at all.:)

1rst question: when installing i choose custom and change all the directories to D:\ is this okay
    Hhm, I would strongly recommend to use the standard paths in a first attempt as the directory structure is pretty complex. This would also exclude any problem arising from this side. Once you have a running installation, reinstalling according to your preferences is a wash.
    2nd Question: i keep getting an error message when trying to install the MS SQL Server it keeps asking for a file to be downloaded but even after this has been done it can't find it so i gave up and posted here
    There have been quite a number of SQL installation errors reported recently for 1.01. Search the forum to learn more. I see two quick possibilities: you could manually download SQL Express 2005 and install it independently of MP, then rerun the installer. Or you could use the other server option "MySQL" instead of the Microsoft SQL Express. I had chosen option one for me.
    3rd Question: what is MS SQL Server and why do i need it
    SQL Server is a Client/Server oriented database, which is used to store important MP information such as TV program info, stations and various other elements. It is vital for MP to function.
    Oh well 50+ views and not 1 answer guess thats why i will stick with VMC
    Everybody in this forum is trying to help and uses his free time to do so. Answers may occasionally come late. Nevertheless the software is worth spending some time. I am sure that you will appreciate the results, once it is running. Answers usually come very fast if you provide information about the system and the issue by posting logs, which MP continually creates.

Regards, HTPC_Sourcer

dcwp

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2006
    Astana
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    In addition to downloading the SQL file, you need to put it in the proper directory. I think it tells you where in the error message. Make sure it's in the right place, try again, and post some logs if it still doesn't work.

Also please note that once you've got SQL running, you will need to enter a username and PW. The default password is case sensitive: MediaPortal. This catches people sometimes.

Also, I agree that you're best off running the one-click install. Once it's installed, it's very easy to change directory pointers in the configuration utility. I consider myself an advanced MP user and I still use the one-click install for sake of speed and stability.

Here's a link that might help with posting logs: Forum/How_to_post_logs - MediaPortal Manual Documentation

RobTi

Portal Pro
    April 29, 2009
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    Thanks all
    Sorry for the last comment was getting a bit frustrated trying to get it to install and kept getting the same error.
    Decided to just install without the tv aspect as i won't be getting a card for a while.
    :D A big thanks to the developers what a great app even +got the front panel on my Anted Remote Max working instead of that stupid imon display, now to get the remote working(time for some searchng)
    Thanks again
    Robert

dcwp

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2006
    Astana
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Glad to hear it's coming along! Let us know if you need any help when you get the tuner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom