[TV] Integrated Program Guide Data Source (1 Viewer)

ChairmanMao

January 21, 2014
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I would strongly recommend that MP be evolved to include its own (i.e., not through an extension or plugin, and supported by the primary development team) "connector" for obtaining program guide information. I say this because I've tried two of the recommended connectors -- the SD Plugin and the XmlTV Gui Plugin -- and neither of them work. If the xmltv commandline app fails to work, then (for me at least) the TV recording functionality might not as well even exist in MP, since it won't be accessible.

I don't mean to start a flame war over this. Nor am I disparaging the developers of either of the two plugins I couldn't get to work (and which are apparently known to have problems). They didn't charge me anything for their work product, and they were kind enough to share what they had done with the world.

But from the point of view of the overall project, the program guide subsystem is as important as the TVServer itself, because either one without the other results in a significant degradation of usability.

catavolt

Design Group Manager
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 13, 2007
    Königstein (Taunus)
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Just activate the EPG grabber in TVServer config which grabs the original EPG data sent by the TV stations ;)
    No need for any extra plugin ;)

ChairmanMao

January 21, 2014
    Home Country
    As you saw in my reply over on the over thread, catavolt, the embedded EPG grabber doesn't work, either. Probably 'cause I live in the US, and I'm using an HDHomeRun Prime as a capture device :).

In all seriousness, is MP designed more for the European theater? If so, that's fine, but I'll stop struggling with evaluating it as an alternative to my current SageTV setup. I need something with a high Wife Appreciation Factor, which in turn requires a fairly straightforward user experience.

breese

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 11, 2011
    Arlington Heights, Illinois
    Home Country
    I tried to enter my Schedules Direct credentials in the settings. But since there are no labels on the textboxes in the dialog box that comes up I had to guess about what went where, and nothing I tried worked
    It is interesting that you make this comment on the other thread....
    In the advanced section of the SD plugin, there are 2 boxes labeled for User name and password that Should be the exact same user name and password you have setup on the Schedules Direct web site.
    If you have not setup an account on the Schedules Direct web site, its not going to work...

http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...s/3_Plugins/TV-Server_Plugins/SchedulesDirect

ChairmanMao

January 21, 2014
    Home Country
    breese,

That comment about no labels on the textboxes referred to the "grabber" settings in the XmlTV Gui application. When you bring up the dialog box for SD, there are two textboxes, but no labels as to what those textboxes are for. Entering the SD user credentials doesn't work; the app's log shows a connect attempt failure (based on the log, I'm not sure if that's because the credentials don't get passed through correctly, or if the SD site is expecting a secure/https connection and is gakking over a standard http connection attempt).

I'm well aware that I need an SD account. And a lineup specified in the SD account. I've done both of those things. The problem is someplace between SD and MP.

breese

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 11, 2011
    Home Country
    If the logs show no updates from SD, then I would be looking to Firewall or Internet provider filters.
    I use SD every day and have never had an issue getting the information from their site.
    Can you browse to the SD web site from the same machine trying to get the updates?
    While connecting this way may not show the exact issue because of porting, it might give a clue to what is happening.

For anyone else reading this: I am currently undergoing a major upgrade to my hardware. Does anyone know what ports SD might be using?

Last edited:

ChairmanMao

January 21, 2014
    Home Country
    If the logs show no updates from SD, then I would be looking to Firewall or Internet provider filters.
    I use SD every day and have never had an issue getting the information from their site.
    Can you browse to the SD web site from the same machine trying to get the updates?
    While connecting this way may not show the exact issue because of porting, it might give a clue to what is happening.

Yes, I can browse the lineup on the SD site.

I appreciate the help, but I've pursued the SD-specific issue in another thread. The MP logs showed a NullReferenceException being thrown from within SD. I was eventually able to get some guide data into MP by playing around with a bunch of stuff. But it was incomplete, and wrong in several cases. I was then warned that getting the SD plugin to work can take a lot of time and effort...which I don't want to spend. Nor do I want to spend time figuring out what's wrong with the XmlTV Gui app.

I just want to be able to use the TV recording capability in MP. But to do that, I have to have a working program guide subsystem. That's why I'm making the suggestion the MP developers include such a subsystem in the "base product".

A TVServer without a program guide is pretty much useless, and a program guide without a TVServer is pointless. You need to have both to have a useful TV recording capability. So if you want a product that offers TV recording capability, both elements should be part of the base product, IMHO.

breese

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 11, 2011
    Home Country
    I completely understand and it can be a little frustrating learning all this.
    One of the great powers of MP is the ability to have plugins creating a better working environment throughout the world.
    I will agree that the U.S. side of things could use more attention and it one of the reasons I am doing major testing for the new MP2.
    I am not a programmer and it is my Hope that someone can explain why you get the NullReferenceException.
    Personally, I have never seen it...

Please before you dump MP, upload a set of logs that has the null error.
    thanks

ChairmanMao

January 21, 2014
    Home Country
    I've already done that on another thread. That's how I know about the NullReferenceException. I also contacted the plugin's developer, but have yet to hear back from him/her.

I still have one more shot at getting usable program guide data, via the mc2xml command line app. But look, even if I can't get it to work, so what? It obviously fills a need for people, yourself included. If it doesn't meet my needs that's no more surprising or disturbing than the fact that some people like vanilla ice cream while others prefer chocolate :).

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Just a couple of quick comments...

I would strongly recommend that MP be evolved to include its own (i.e., not through an extension or plugin, and supported by the primary development team) "connector" for obtaining program guide information.
    We do have such a connector for DVB broadcasts which provide information in the broadcast stream pretty much as standard. The problem is that when it comes to EPG for the US and Canada, there is no consistent, universal, legal and free option. In general I also think that doing things with plugins allows more people to contribute and customise to make everything work best for their region. Don't underestimate how different TV in the US is to TV in other parts of the world. ;)

I say this because I've tried two of the recommended connectors -- the SD Plugin and the XmlTV Gui Plugin -- and neither of them work. If the xmltv commandline app fails to work, then (for me at least) the TV recording functionality might not as well even exist in MP, since it won't be accessible.
    I know you reported the null reference exception problem with the SD plugin so you've had a bad experience with it. Honestly that is the first serious issue that I have seen with that plugin... ever. I suggest you work with geoffstewart to figure it out. He's posted instructions for you:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/getting-scheduledirect-to-work.124222/page-2#post-1059573

Can you tell me more about the mc2xml problem? Were you able to generate an XMLTV file?

I don't mean to start a flame war over this. Nor am I disparaging the developers of either of the two plugins I couldn't get to work (and which are apparently known to have problems). They didn't charge me anything for their work product, and they were kind enough to share what they had done with the world.
    I think you've had a bad run in both cases, and I'd suggest don't give up. There really isn't any better option for MP at this time.

But from the point of view of the overall project, the program guide subsystem is as important as the TVServer itself, because either one without the other results in a significant degradation of usability.
    Yep, understood. As described above: the US and Canada have it tough. Your country decided to create their own TV standard which quite frankly is not as good as the standard used in other parts of the world. Difficulty with guide data - unless you pay for it like MS with WMC - is one of the consequences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom