Integrated Video Cutting (1 Viewer)

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    It appears in this thread that this type of plugin is being worked on.

Mike

Khris

Portal Pro
    July 2, 2005
    Edmonton, AB
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    jondmac said:
    I think the coolest feature to solve all these problems would be a plugin that while MP was recording could reconize if there was a logo present in the tv picture stream, and automaticly paused the recording when the logo disapeared. That way we would only have the show, and NO commercials.

ps. most tv channels dont have their logo displayed when showing commercials!

There are some shows which don't have the logo in the corner, or the logo might show up a few seconds after the program has actually started. You'll miss part of the recording in that case.

Better to record everything and cut the commercials later.

jondmac

Portal Member
    April 21, 2005
    It should offcourse be optional, so you could chose either.
    Its not alot of fun to wait for the htpc co cut out commercials.

----------------------------------------------------------
    It could be done without loosing it another way:

instead of pausing when logo disapears, it could simply just make a optional bookmark e.g. commercials start, and then when the commercials are over and the logo apears again it set another bookmark e.g. commercials stop.

like this:

(time)
    00.10.52 [commercials start]
    00.17.35 [commercials stop]
    00.35.55 [commercials start]
    00.49.17 [commersials stop]
    ect.

that would make you able to just hit the skip button once when the show comes to a commercials block, and skip to the end of the commercial block.

Ps. It would make it alot faster to find the points and edit where to cut the file too :)

Hope you see my point.

Khris

Portal Pro
    July 2, 2005
    Edmonton, AB
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    jondmac said:
    Its not alot of fun to wait for the htpc co cut out commercials.

You don't have anything else to do while it's cutting commercials? ;) hehe

jondmac said:
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    It could be done without loosing it another way:

instead of pausing when logo disapears, it could simply just make a optional bookmark e.g. commercials start, and then when the commercials are over and the logo apears again it set another bookmark e.g. commercials stop.

like this:

(time)
    00.10.52 [commercials start]
    00.17.35 [commercials stop]
    00.35.55 [commercials start]
    00.49.17 [commersials stop]
    ect.

that would make you able to just hit the skip button once when the show comes to a commercials block, and skip to the end of the commercial block.

Ps. It would make it alot faster to find the points and edit where to cut the file too :)

Hope you see my point.

This is exactly how BeyondTV marked commercials in/out.

Ralph

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 13, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Already has been said:
    hwahrmann said:
    that's what comskip is doing. With MP recording in the new format in the future, it may be done as a plugin.

BTW, someone is already working on a plugin allowing to cut files.

Comskip can detect where a commercial starts and ends and can create a text-file with the start and endpoints.
    These cutpoints (jindmac called them bookmarks) now can be used either to cut out the detected commercials or to skip the commercials while your watching without cutting the file.

I'm in contact with Erik the maintainer of comskip to find a MP solution.
    But to use this "bookmark" solution first of all MP's record engine needs to use another format, 'cause dvr-ms is not supported by comskip.
    The second thing is that MP's mediaplayer needs to be able to recognize these cutpoints in order to skip them.
    And this function has to be added to the code.

Erik is willing to support ts files, but he needs some examples being able to adjust comskip and to test the results.
    You can support this by sending him some ts-files you made with MP some month ago, as the record engine was using the ts format.

I don't know if the ts- files that will be created with the new record engine
    will differ to that made with the old ts-record engine, but if you still have some ts-files please post here and I will ask Erik to tell us where to send them.

So give us your ts-files, please!

As you may know, there is this How-To for using comskip within MP until an intergrated plugin will be available.

And kaybe still needs some advanced help to get the preview window work properly, so we can finally start to cut our recordings with a remote within MediaPortal! :lol:
    Kaybe's plugin will work with dvr-ms files and Brutus tries to get this work with mpeg2 files.
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/viewtopic.php?t=13535

Any help would be appreciated, to get all this things realised as soon as possible. :D

Regards
    Ralph

Elf

Portal Pro
    June 8, 2005
    UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    We set scheduled recordings to automatically start a few minutes early and end a few minutes late - this is, of course, a common practice in case the show starts a bit early or ends a bit late.

The thing is, you then get a recording that reminds me of old VHS days, which starts with the last few minutes of the previous show, commercials, then finally your show starts. When the show is over, the recording continues to run with end credits, more commercials and then the beginning of the following show.

For a one-off viewing, that's really not a problem, but if you want to keep the recording you might want to think about tidying it up - in other words, removing the spare minutes' worth at the beginning and end (and of course remove the commercials within, but that's been covered plenty ;)

I'm thinking of a button that, during playback, would delete everything in the recording *up to the current point* and another button that would delete everything *after the current point*. Thus, you watch the recording, hit the "delete before" button as soon as the show proper starts, and hit the "delete after" button as soon as it ends. This would be very intuitive and far less hassle than loading the recording into video editing software to start cutting and splicing.

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Just as a "For-Your-Information" there are two new authors working together to provide a MPEG cutting/trimming plugin. I think once this plugin has been released we show see some nice synergy between it and some on the ideas presented here.

Mike

erik1958

Portal Pro
    January 28, 2006
    Elf said:
    The thing is, you then get a recording that reminds me of old VHS days, which starts with the last few minutes of the previous show, commercials, then finally your show starts. When the show is over, the recording continues to run with end credits, more commercials and then the beginning of the following show.
    Comskip automatically recognizes this and deletes all the unwanted stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom