Integration of new Hardware IR Receiver / Transmitter (2 Viewers)

Bitmonster

Portal Member
February 1, 2006
Hamburg, Germany
AndreWeber said:
Hello,
- thats a nice Idea to make a function for automating MP -

* SendMessage - is poor performance (I think)
* COM - and .NET are terrible stuff (I think)
* Sockets - with a well defined protocol - something soap like? would be nice and give us the chance to remote control MP also via network... this gives a lot new possibilities ... for doing something ... f.e. WLAN PDA*g*

André
Haven't you been the guy who teached me COM to its limits to get YARD integrated in EventGhost? :)

Well, I also like sockets the most as it's the most flexible approach.

mPod

Portal Pro
January 26, 2005
Berlin
Home Country
Germany Germany
Bitmonster said:
always prefer a "bridge" like EventGhost, Girder or HIP, because this way a remote device developer has to do its work only one time and not for every program again and the other way round also.
Well, those are 2 different approaches, I guess. We want out of the box support, so you install the driver and start MediaPortal. You can then lean back on your coach and start right away.

If we'd do it your way, we'd do it the Girder way (no matter how we communicate with MP in that case). And this needs intense customization by the user. Not that handy for an HTPC application that should run right out of the box.

That's why we tied the mapper so close to the core. But anyway, I made it pretty simple, so only a little "bridge" DLL would be needed (that's being loaded on demand on MP start, with a defined interface). So no big deal for a developer, no matter if you're familar with MediaPortal or not.

I don't wanna bring your idea down, the basics are great. But I'm not sure if that is the correct approach for such an HTPC application. Of course, this is my personal opinion. Others (Bastler?) might think different, and would like to see such an extension. That's why it's Open Source. :wink:

Bitmonster

Portal Member
February 1, 2006
Hamburg, Germany
mPod said:
I don't wanna bring your idea down, the basics are great. But I'm not sure if that is the correct approach for such an HTPC application.
As you can guess, I'm (and others) are completely certain, that this is the right approach, as not everybody want's to control MP solely. And EG can also be configured and distributed to run "out of the box" with a single application if you want it to. Anyhow, these are philosphical discussions and I'm not here to disunit the users. Anybody might take the approach he finds the best.

So the question arrises, how do we start?

AndreWeber

Portal Member
January 31, 2006
Germany
Hi again,

That's why we tied the mapper so close to the core. But anyway, I made it pretty simple, so only a little "bridge" DLL would be needed (that's being loaded on demand on MP start, with a defined interface). So no big deal for a developer, no matter if you're familar with MediaPortal or not.

I think we (I'am and bitmonster) should start to look a these bridge DLL - could you give us a sample? - Which exports are needed? - so we may use these bridge to realize our idea's without changing the behaviour of MP - so the user can decide to use it or not...

André

mPod

Portal Pro
January 26, 2005
Berlin
Home Country
Germany Germany
See the following, this is a real ProcessPlugin for a remote-like device, that uses the mapper. Those ProcessPlugins can be distributed and do not have to be deployed with an .msi or similar.

mediaportal\ProcessPlugins\MameDevice\MameDevice.cs (MP's CVS repository)

If you need some basics on how to write a plugin for MP, see this tutorial (example shows creation of a WindowPlugin, but it's very similar, you get an idea immediately).

https://www.team-mediaportal.com/articles/howtos/how_to_write_a_plugin.html

AndreWeber

Portal Member
January 31, 2006
Germany
mPod said:
If you need some basics on how to write a plugin for MP, see this tutorial (example shows creation of a WindowPlugin, but it's very similar, you get an idea immediately).
https://www.team-mediaportal.com/articles/howtos/how_to_write_a_plugin.html

Ok. I think now I know what to do ;) - I will try to use Borland C# Builder and hope it will work with MediaPortal. (I will also try to use my personal favorite Delphi 2006.net -)
If this plugin works I see also the chance to make Bitmonsters idea working - I will write another plugin which listens on a socket - where EventGhost can feed in commands which will be redirected to MP?

On the howto page I saw there are also plugins for LCD's - this looks like the next step - because Y.A.R.D. also supports LCD (HD44700) at the next development stepping.

André

mPod

Portal Pro
January 26, 2005
Berlin
Home Country
Germany Germany
AndreWeber said:
Ok. I think now I know what to do ;) - I will try to use Borland C# Builder and hope it will work with MediaPortal. (I will also try to use my personal favorite Delphi 2006.net -)
Here is a forum thread on building with Borland C# Builder, might be interesting for you then: http://nolanparty.com/mediaportal.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=492

AndreWeber said:
If this plugin works I see also the chance to make Bitmonsters idea working - I will write another plugin which listens on a socket - where EventGhost can feed in commands which will be redirected to MP?
Sounds good to me and should be made easily possible, I think.

AndreWeber said:
On the howto page I saw there are also plugins for LCD's - this looks like the next step - because Y.A.R.D. also supports LCD (HD44700) at the next development stepping.
This sounds even more great, I guess our LCD developer JoeDalton would love to work with you on that.

AndreWeber

Portal Member
January 31, 2006
Germany
Hi,
the pictures are available again: and my website... so you may have a look at what we are talking about -

and here is an early image of the LCD Development: (this will take a while to open;) - which is still not ready for use

img05.jpg

lcdh_nr2.jpg

André

P_stAR

Portal Member
December 9, 2005
How's the eventghost plugin for media portal coming along?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom