Integration of VLC video player (1 Viewer)

ffx

January 15, 2006
Hello,

wouldn't it be great if you integrate videolan.org VLC mediaplayer into MediaPortal?

VLC has a lot of benefits in comparison to MS Media Player:

- VLC is free
- VLC supports nearly every video format natively
- VLC has superb quality
- VLC supports lot of commands like foward, backward seeking (see hotkeys)
- VLC has active-X support for integration within MP screen

What do you think? I am no windows system programer, so I cannot help with this.

gds

Portal Pro
October 4, 2004
Italy
Hi, let me point out the current situation (as I understand it, don't trust it too much Wink) about IP-TV & VLC integration in MP:
1 - I've already asked the developers to consider embedding VLC into MP (http://nolanparty.com/mediaportal.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6431&highlight=) and later I've found some other posts asking the same, but MrMario answered to one of them that, since VLC uses the same codecs as ffdshow, they're not interested in doing it.
2 - Since some of VLC features are still missing in MP (like watching IP-TV streams or acting as a video/audio server), someone has posted some almost painless ways to integrate VLC into MP. For more informations about them, take a look at these posts:
http://nolanparty.com/mediaportal.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6354&highlight=vlc
http://nolanparty.com/mediaportal.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6011&highlight=vlc
3 - It seems that they're planning to add support for video streaming in the next TV engine (but I'm not quite sure about it, nor I know in which version of MP it will finally appear).
Hope it helps.
Bye.
GDS
I hope you won't mind if I quote one message of mine, but it's already been asked before and the answer seems to be NO.
Bye
GDS

ASiDiE

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 14, 2005
    USA
    I know the answer seems to be NO... but I will still love to see this. There is a version of VLC that will detect the comerical skips in replaytv shows. I could use DVArchive and then stream the shows to media portal and it would skip the comericals for me. There is actually a plugin for meedio for this.

I would also like this so I could stream shows from My Theatre.

I am looking forward to see what the DEV's come up with... with their streaming engine....

sd

January 16, 2006
    I 'd also like to see VLC integrated natively in MP.

There are always files that do not play in MP or WMP but in VLC.

And what is the whole point in having an easy to use media center frontend that needs manual adjustment whenever a file doesn't play?

ffx

January 15, 2006
    aasmund Nordal said:
    Cant you just use vlc as an external player?

External calling doesnt have the same features like:
    - continue on last position
    - no mediaportal key capture
    - no preview picture inside mp
    etc.

moullas

Portal Pro
    January 15, 2005
    Home Country
    Cyprus Cyprus
    In addition to that, it could be the first step towards Dreambox integration, as the DBox allows for streaming whatever is showing to VLC... that would be extra sweet :)

BigCheese

Portal Pro
    January 13, 2006
    Germany
    VLC would be much better, because actual i have a HDTV movie which stutters with the mediaplayer :( with vlc it works...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom