integration with surround receiver (1 Viewer)

knutinh

Portal Pro
September 4, 2005
I have read that someone is working on a "global" volume control. Id like that thought generalised:

A general audio-control window popping up whenever i touch the mute, volume or other relevant button. Using girder or some other back-end, this could be 2-way synchronised to any receiver with serial connection.

This means that the receiver behaviour could be modified in some interesting ways:
always surround modes in my tv, my movies, always stereo in my music
use pc remote to control receiver volume/mute
MP keeps an internal volume state that is updated even when the physical volume pot of th receiver is moved

-k

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I guess most people really using AVR's will be using digital connections. Therefore it's useless to think about software volume adjustment.

But for the surround modes you might want to get a cheap remote like the logitech harmony ones where you just press "Watch TV" and it powers on all devices, switches to AV, MP to TV, AVR to Pro-Logic, etc..

VdR

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 17, 2006
    Belgium
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Agree with rtv, shouldn't do volume control on a digital output, instead use the IR bugs (or another i/f) to adjust volume on the external amplifier. I use HIP to do this.

If you want to change other settings (like surround etc.) and make that context/event driven check out the 'replacement MCE remote' plug-in from and-81.

VdR

knutinh

Portal Pro
    September 4, 2005
    I guess most people really using AVR's will be using digital connections. Therefore it's useless to think about software volume adjustment.

But for the surround modes you might want to get a cheap remote like the logitech harmony ones where you just press "Watch TV" and it powers on all devices, switches to AV, MP to TV, AVR to Pro-Logic, etc..

When the connection is AC3/dts (receiver used for decoding), then it is practically impossible to do attenuation locally on the PC.

If there is any processing done in the receiver (EQ, room-correction etc), then at least theoretically, there could be some benefit to doing attenuation as the final stage (the receiver could further have an analog volume stage (motorised potentiometer or VCA) post DAC, meaning that no bits are "wasted" even when doing a lot of attenuation).

regards
    Knut

knutinh

Portal Pro
    September 4, 2005
    Agree with rtv, shouldn't do volume control on a digital output, instead use the IR bugs (or another i/f) to adjust volume on the external amplifier. I use HIP to do this.

If you want to change other settings (like surround etc.) and make that context/event driven check out the 'replacement MCE remote' plug-in from and-81.

VdR

Why would I use a serial-IR connection when there are direct rs232-connections that promise everything that IR has, and then adds the benefit of 2-way connectivity?

-k

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    eeeer - maybe my setup is just too "perfect" but please try to explain why I didn't want to control my AVR directly but instead send MP a command, let a plugin try to translate that, output that via a cable (which would have to be bought) to the AVR to finally do the same?

Sorry I just don't get it...

Edit: I was just thinking about a possible need: If the receiver isn't in the same room and cannot be controlled via IR or RF - but then the speakers most likely aren't either...

knutinh

Portal Pro
    September 4, 2005
    A) I would like as few remotes as possible. I was hoping to use my PDA to control everything, but this isnt quite working yet.

B) I like surround for watching movie/tv-content, but stereo for listening to music

C) I would like to retain as much quality as possible in my signal chain - even if the perceptual gain may be dubious.

D) I would like to have ReplayGain integrated into my gain setup eventually

1. I could buy a programmable remote-control (that is either quite expensive, or very "cheap"), program it to control my receiver, buy a new IR receiver for my HTPC*) and program the remote control to that one, then manually switch the receiver to "surround" when watching tv, and "stereo" when listening to music.

2. Or I could purchase a IR-transmitter for my HTPC and set it up in front of my receiver for controlling it one-way.

3. Or I could use a bog standard rs-232 cable found in my appartement, and some simple software that evidently does not exist. :)

*) I have an iMon PAD remote. It is using "proprietary" codes that evidently is very difficult to learn for learning remotes. It cannot learn any commands by itself.

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    yeah - I agree; that iMon remote sucks. I'm not a big fan of that "cheap plastic" Harmony remotes but actually mine does exactly what you want for 50 bucks. Even Switching to Pro-Logic for TV / off for music ;-)

re 3: maybe code that "little" software then :)

VdR

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 17, 2006
    Belgium
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands

VdR

Why would I use a serial-IR connection when there are direct rs232-connections that promise everything that IR has, and then adds the benefit of 2-way connectivity?

-k

You probably wouldn't, that's why I wrote '(or another i/f)'.

VdR

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom