[INTEL] Intel HD-Graphics Driver: Profile Selection via Keyboard Shortcut Key / Hot Key (1 Viewer)

_Micha_

Portal Member
March 17, 2013
Home Country
Germany Germany
Introduction
Intel was so kind to (still) support profiles with their graphics driver (in difference to e.g. non professional NVIDIA graphic drivers, where it was cancelled some years ago). In fact there are a lot of possible settings which may be good or not good for different applications (e.g. DVD versus BD play back). Therefore it is very good to be able to setup what your application needs and then to save this setting in an profile which can be applied without doing again all that setup steps.
To select such a profile you may open several menus / sub-menus (right mouse click to your desktop -> Graphic options -> Profile -> ... <YourProfile>) or the Intel HD-Graphics driver GUI and search there where you can select your profile. This is how it currently works (2014-September).
Unfortunately there is NO support by the Intel driver to asign a profile to some keyboard hot key / shortcut key.

My Solution

The Intel driver supports to assign a profile to an application; more exact to an application start. (This means also that a close of the same application is not triggering anything i.e. the before used profile is not re-activated.) I will use this driver feature to get my desired hot key support.
I wrote a very tiny AutoIT program with name Profile_Name.exe. It is actually not doing anything beside presenting a message box that some profile will be activated in the background (by the Intel driver). My application reads its program name and displays its read result in the message box as profile name.
E.g. if you rename my prog. to 1080p_23,976Hz.exe then the message box will display:
Activation of the Intel HD-Graphics Driver Profile: 1080p_23,976Hz
The message box has a time out of 7 seconds, i.e. you may skip to push the "OK" button.

My folder and file setup looks like this:
+---Profiles
...+---Profile_1
...|...............1080p_23,976Hz.exe
...|
...+---Profile_2
...|...............1080p_50Hz.exe
...|
...\---Profile_3
...................1360x765_50Hz.exe

How to get the desired Keyboard Shortcut?
1. Make a desktop shortcut(s) to your <Your_Profile_Name>.exe file(s).
2.0 Open the "Properties" of the new made shortcut (right mouse click on its desktop icon).
2.1 Assigned some shortcut key in the "Shortcut" tab.

NOTE:
1. Don't forget: Assign your profile(s) to the <Your_Profile_Name>.exe file(s) in the Intel HD-Graphics driver GUI.
2. If you plan to switch between several displays with this method: It don't works well because from time to time the profile loses the assigned display or MS Windows makes some strange thing due to the defined flows in their Transient Multimon Manager (TMM). I don't know the problem source and was not able to fix this.

The attached ZIP file contains 3 files:
Profile_Name.au3 = AutoIT script file = source for:
Profile_Name.exe
readme.txt = this text

Greetings!

Micha

P.S. The Intel "24p / 23,976Hz bug" is fixed (only in HW) since a while, see (GER):
http://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/f89/verstaendnisfrage-24p-bug-erklaerung-797983.html

Attachments

• Profile_HotKey.zip
    405.3 KB
Last edited:

Jataganich

Portal Member
August 28, 2014
Home Country
Russian Federation Russian Federation
Hi. does not work.

Made according to the instructions. Does not change the screen resolution when you start the program. What could be the problem?
333.jpg

_Micha_

Portal Member
March 17, 2013
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi, I would expect that you could not 100% follow my (very detailed) description due to a "language problem" (English -> your language).
On the other hand it is for me impossible with the screen shot (with Russian? text) and your error description to provide help, I'm sorry. (If your setup is OK and you start the "321.exe" the Intel driver must detect this. If not: Your Intel driver version has may be a problem -> try a different Intel driver (older or newer then yours)).

Luchvk

February 16, 2016
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Hi. I've read through your instructions a few times; they're fine. I can't seem to find out how to assign a profile to an application though. I've looked in all of the panels of the graphics manager and found nothing clearing indicating this ability. Am I looking in the wrong place?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom