Intel NUC (1 Viewer)

John Patten

April 1, 2015
Home Country
Ireland Ireland
Hi. I am looking at running a Media Portal installation at home. I am thinking of using Intel NUCs at the TVs as client boxes. Just wondering if plenty of people are using them with Media Portal? If so is there anything that I need to look out for? Are there any other options for the TV client? There was a lot of talk in the past around Media Extenders for use with MS Media Center but these products would appear to be no longer available.

RicoHTPC

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 4, 2011
    Cuxhaven
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Welcome John

As this topic is pretty general you may want to have a look at the hardware section where you will find plenty about client hardware.

Cheers,

Rico

Ericjuh

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 15, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I am using MP on a NUC and it works very well.

Steve
    What kind of NUC you have? the i3, i5 or celeron? Can you play all supported files in mediaportal?

Looking also for a NUC, because the netflix support on xbmc is total crap. Therefor i need windows and then i can also install mediaportal.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    the latest generation intel nuc has built in wifi/bluetooth/ir , the older generation don't. The cpu and gpu difference between current generation and previous generation are fairly similar, for the same price you can usually get an i5 4th gen vs i3 5th gen.

aspik

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 14, 2008
    the latest generation intel nuc has built in wifi/bluetooth/ir
    The question is, if you need the extra stuff? :) I prefer gigabyte LAN connection instead WiFi. The 4th generation has also an inbuilt IR. I have it disabled anyway, because my NUC is hidden in the TV shelf and I use an external MCE 1040 IR. Who needs bluetooth in a HTPC? ;)

Ericjuh

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 15, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom