Interactive Remote (1 Viewer)

A

Anonymous

In the course of building my MediaPortal HTPC I'm now in the process of playing with remote controls. Thus far I've experimented with the iMON 'RSC' unit and a X-10 8-in-1 Universal Remote. While both appear to work well enough it seems to me that there might be an even better solution.

I'm curious if anyone has given any thought to developing an 'interactive, context-sensitive remote'. Such a device would almost have to be constructed around a PDA or some similar programmable device. As I see the thing it would work in conjunction with a MediaPortal plugin and the USBUIRT.

Starting at the home menu, the device would have a fairly simply input set; basically up, down and execute. When a MP function such as TV is selected, the remote sends the commands to MP, MP selects the function and MP then responds with a context command output using the USBUIRT. This command would be received by the IR receiver in the remote and the touch screen would change to include buttons suitable for the active MP function.

The idea is that the remote and MP work in conjunction with each other allowing the remote user interface to remain simple at all stages of the interaction.

M

matt

PPC Based remote

HI Jsteele

I am only on day two of my learning curve with Media Portal, but so far so good.

I was hoping to see a PPC based smart remote that operated via WiFi. (I don't want to much). (similar to www.Xlobby.com)

But I am no programmer. I have a project coming up that may be able to absorb some of the development cost, so I will look into commissioning someone to do the dev effort. (it will be GPL of course)

(I am also going away soon for 6 weeks so I won't be able to look at it until I return.) But if you are interested in something like that you may be able to help in the functional design efforts. I would also like to involve some others from the project to ensure it fits the strategic direction of the project.

No promises at this stage though.

Love to hear you thoughts

Matt :)

samuel337

Portal Pro
August 25, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
What you want is definitely possible. I started working on something like this that works via a web page. It was context-sensitive as well as I could determine the currently displayed screen. However I scaled down development on this because I wanted to work on more important components of the web interface first.

When I get my PPC, I think I will start development on a PPC app that can control MP via WiFi. It should be relatively easy as all I need to do is to create an app that sends the commands to my MP plugin - the MP plugin can already send commands to MP.

I'm not sure how your remotes work but if it supports web pages, then a web remote is definitely in the works.

Check out the webscheduler - there's basic web remote functionality using my MP plugin.
http://nolanparty.com/mediaportal.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3216&highlight=webscheduler

HTH

Sam

M

matt

Looks like great work samuel337

Will give it a bash this evening.

Thanks for your work, Gee this Media Portal is looking fantastic, and growing quickly.

Matt :)

A

Anonymous

Further to the 'interactive remote' idea, has anyone tried using "OmniRemote" by Pacific Neo-Tek (www.pacificneotek.com)? This is a software package that converts a PalmOS PDA to an IR learning remote control.

It doesn't go as far as I was thinking in the original interactive remote idea in that it does not get menu change commands back from MP. But it does have the ability to change button screens depending on which button is pressed. For example, in the 'classic' univerasl remote context pressing the "VCR" button would change the screen to display only buttons that are related to VCR functions. These buttons can in turn lead to further changes and so on, up to 15 layers deep as I recall.

This approach would allow you to define a screen with the appropriate buttons for each MP function, screens that would change as the user selects the various MP functions.

I have an old Visor Prism (color display) laying around doing nothing so I think I'll give it a whirl and report back.

CoolHammer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 28, 2004
    Finland
    jsteele:

I had that software on my Palm III. It is actually quite handy, but have one real annoying problem. IR sender is not so powerfull so prepare to sit near your MP box :wink: .

CoolHammer

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom