Interested in LiveTV experience (MP vs. Cablebox) (1 Viewer)

cerpika

January 16, 2016
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Hello folks, I'm new to MP (WMC refugee here) but am enjoying what I see so far.

I have a Ceton6 card and was interested in attempting to replace my Cablebox with a MP system, and am interested in the experiences others have had when trying this.

Does MP provide a good Live TV experience? Would you recommend MP1 or MP2 for a system primarily built for Live TV / DVR?

I have been doing some testing on MP2/Windows10, and one thing I noticed is that channel changing is really slow (on a pretty powerful i7/24G Memory/SSD computer). I'm wondering if I just have a less than optimal config.

I'm very interesting in anyone else's experience with Live TV on MP. Thanks in advance!!!

resa

Portal Pro
February 24, 2008
the sunny side.
Home Country
Germany Germany
Some interessting DVB hardware that you have there ;)

Maybe you like giving the crowd some detailed system specs first? You can do so either within the user control panel or by using the signature decently, like i do, so you only have to do it once and have it in place for further requests.

To answer your request for experiences with MePo watching TV (my personal opinion): There is nothing better on this planet :D Once you have figured out what simple but ingenious thing the timeshift is doing for you, this may could be completely change your whole watching behaviour ;)

Usually MePo itselfs takes only some little extra moments itselfs while switching the channels due to several reasons.

An first quick shot from my side is: On what exactly kind of drive you are store the timeshift buffer on, and what other kind of data is there located too?

Have you already noticed better switching times with this hardware when using another viewing software or in another computer, so you may can exclude surely the card itselfs as the source? (unfortunately some cards are really somewhat slow on switching)

Have you compared if there are extreme differences switching between free channels and scrambled pay-tv channels and viceversa, how the differences turns out comparing switching from sd channel to hd channel and viceversa or between sd and sd and hd and hd?

best regards.

Last edited:

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I have a Ceton6 card
    MediaPortal supports cable cards out of the box. However, please do read this posting https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/cablecard-tuner-support-for-mediaportal-1.112585/ as bug patches for your card could exist.

one thing I noticed is that channel changing is really slow
    That doesn't say much - can you provide a number please?.

MediaPortal is software-based and therefore cannot be as fast a dedicated hardware solution by nature, yet it's not that much slower. A good quantitative measurement for the change time is to start a channel and then use the TV(mini-)guide to select a different channel by pressing OK on your remote. Note that "Channel Up/Down" will include OSD display zap delays as defined in the TV Server setup, which extends the observed channel switch delay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom