Tools and other software Internet Explorer 8? (1 Viewer)

rsbrux

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Windows Update is bugging me to install MS Internet Explorer (MSIE) 8. For the last couple of years, I have been using MSIE 7. What experience do fellow MP users have with MSIE 8? Is it worth upgrading? What are the potential risks and benefits?

spachti

Portal Pro
    July 27, 2005
    Bible Belt
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    IE 8 is supposed to be faster than 7,

BUT, not all websites are set up to work with IE 8.
    So, it's kind of a toss up, better speed but sometimes trouble.
    As always, the day MS will produce something that doesn't suck will be the day they're selling vacuums.

JackTramiel

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 22, 2006
    Recklinghausen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Take care that your browser add ons are not too old. And if you are using Norton you will get a warning msg that nortons phishing filter was deactivated. They (Symantec) are working on it.
    Update Flash etc. and it should work fine.
    If you have changed your DPI settings to anything else then the default ones or the windows schemes you might get black menu bars.

Those are the issues so far i know of. I wonder someone is using MS products but claims they suck. Do or use something better then would be my recommendation.

EDIT: Websites created with MS Publisher do not work correctly. ( Navigation breaks )

rsbrux

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Thanks for the feedback. I have taken the plunge and it works OK so far. MSIE 8 configuration offers so-called "compatibility updates" which are supposed to take care of the issues spachti mentioned.

neo2001

Portal Member
    December 26, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Windows Update is bugging me to install MS Internet Explorer (MSIE) 8. For the last couple of years, I have been using MSIE 7. What experience do fellow MP users have with MSIE 8? Is it worth upgrading? What are the potential risks and benefits?

I'm using Firefox, but I would prefer IE8 instead of IE7 in any way.

VidarParry

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 25, 2007
    Brisbane
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    As always, the day MS will produce something that doesn't suck will be the day they're selling vacuums.

I upgraded to IE8, I had no issues except that the MSOffice Update and Windows Update sites wouldn't work properly. After numerous emails with Microsoft support their advice was to downgrade to IE7 or earlier - go figure!!

Cheers
    ...Steve

rsbrux

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    And what's wrong with firefox ;)

Just so much better.

Ray,
    Nothing wrong with Firefox. I use it on other systems. Since MP has a plug-in for MSIE that works out-of-the-box, and the corresponding thread suggests that the Firefox-plugin is difficult to install, I thought I'd stick with MSIE. IIRC, some other plugins (Online Videos?) also depend on MSIE, or on it's evil offspring, WMP. I don't want to load any more than necessary onto my HTPC.

JackTramiel

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 22, 2006
    Recklinghausen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

I upgraded to IE8, I had no issues except that the MSOffice Update and Windows Update sites wouldn't work properly. After numerous emails with Microsoft support their advice was to downgrade to IE7 or earlier - go figure!!

Cheers
    ...Steve

I think this advice was no good. If you have problems with the update site how the hell did your MS technican came to the idea to tell you to downgrade? I would recommend other things then a downgrade, cause windows update should work fine with IE8.

Since MS outsourced their support i think you just had a technican that "sucks" ;)

gardnertina

August 13, 2009

Internet explorer purpose of existence is that you can browse to the firefox website and download it :p Nah im joking it's actually quite good, but I stick to ff anyway. Can't see many differences between IE7 and IE8, but thats probably also due to the fact that I don't use these browser very often. IE8 comes with thsi compatibility mode for IE7 I think...
    However I don't see a reason not to upgrade. If you think it's annoying that windows update keeps naging you to install it I think there is a way to tell it that it should disregard that update, and it wouldnt be included in the list anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom