Ipimp or Webservices. Which should I choose? (1 Viewer)

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    1.1.0 is closing in and that means it's time for a reinstallation, I have previously only played around with Ipimp, but never really got it workin, but I didn't put too much effort into it either.

It seems to be that Webservices and Ipimp are rather similar to eachother, basically they take your content and make it available in a webbrowser correct? So what should I considder when I pick which one to install?

Tazzios

Portal Pro
    November 7, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    This is what i think:

Ipimp
    is more a remote for in home.

Webservices
    Is to get to your media over the internet.

Main qeustion is:
    -Do you want to use it on mobile or on PC?
    -Control media portal or get media?

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Well my main goal is to stream content to mobiles and laptops when I'm either in a room with no MP-client or out traveling, aswell as setting recordings.

bigboss97

Portal Pro
    January 31, 2006
    Sydney
    Home Country
    I'm using MP 1.0.2.
    I've got my iPiMP working with my iPhone. It just didn't work with firefox on my laptop. There's a patch which is supposed to work with firefox. Unfortunately, the patch even failed with my iPhone.
    Then I tried Webservices. I couldn't get it work and didn't receive any error :-(

asap

Portal Member
    October 4, 2010
    Well my main goal is to stream content to mobiles and laptops when I'm either in a room with no MP-client or out traveling, as well as setting recordings.

iPimp looks very promising for what you are asking but is only limited to the iPhone primary.

I have the following to deal with the issues:

I find TVersity pretty good for streaming content to a mobile device or laptop. The best thing is it works with the iPhone, mac and PC. The only bad thing about it is that it does not stream live TV, it only streams recorded TV shows and music.

To schedule a TV recording time or access my MediaPortal TV Guide, I use the 'Self Contained Web Server / Interface' by Big_Kev. According to the developer, the web service is able to stream live content with the help of VLC but I couldn't get it working. The developer has created multiple interfaces for the web service. I use the PDA interface (a water down, simple interface) that I use to only schedule my TV shows when I am away from home. I am still in MediaPortal 1.0.2, don't know if it will work with the new MP 1.1.
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/tv-server-plugins-294/self-contained-web-server-interface-27320/

For live TV streaming, I have yet found one that works best for me. So I got SlingBox. It works with mobile devices, mac, and PCs. One good reason is that my server is pretty much at its limit and I need to offload live TV streaming to somewhere else.

My wife loves to record TV shows and watch them at work in her mobile device via streaming. My brothers love to watch my animes at my parent's house via streamig. I love listening to my music at work via streaming and sometimes I like to watch Live TV at work (soccer, football, etc..) I have a Celeron E3300 2.5 dual core on my server. It does a good job at transcoding two video content and multiple music streaming at the same time. But I don't think it will be able to handle a third video, hence, I got Slingbox.

altytesty

Portal Pro
    December 19, 2009
    Webservices, IMnotsoHO is one of the most amazing plugins ever. The main problem is that not many people know about it or actively use it.
    The 2nd issue is the pathetic nature of Microsoft, Google, and obviously Apple. All 3 have historically and continue to have issues with playlists over the internet. While being an ancient file extension, the big 3 idiots have failed to implement it natively like it should be.

I have just installed the latest MP and the latest Webservices, which is NOT in the main thread. I can't report on anything yet because am still optimizing.

I believe it to be working more stable than in February this year, when I became deathly sick. Anyway, I hope its all good, and if so, I'll resume GUI designing for it, because I have no programming skills as far as whatever language is used to build such an app.

More people to Webservices=more support, more improvements on crossplatform, insanely awesome concept. Thanks again to gemx, and those people he drew upon, I think maybe StreamTV small contribution, I forget.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom