IR control from pc? (1 Viewer)

teststrips

Portal Member
March 2, 2008
I'd like to control some IR devices via my PC to do tasks such as - put my projector screen up/down and turn on my projector.

I'd really like to be able to script it via command line too.

What hardware do i need to send IR signals from my pc? I found the usbuirt - but I really can't see spending $50 + 20 shipping on one of those... there has to be a cheaper alternative. I know some of the hauppauge cards have onboard IR blasters.... would I be able to send commands through that? What software would I use?

and-81

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    The USB-UIRT is good, no doubt, but in my opinion it's too expensive.

I hate to say it, because I'd like to see the USB-UIRT succeed.

But the MCE Remote is just better value, and does almost all the same stuff (I believe the USB-UIRT can reproduce more IR Codes than the MCE can, but I haven't found that to be a problem and I doubt many people will).

When you consider that you can get an MCE Remote and it's receiver box for less than a USB-UIRT you can't really justify the cost of the USB-UIRT.

So yeah, I'd say go for an MCE remote and receiver. You could build your own IR receiver and IR Blaster, there are plans on the internet (google is your friend), but the support is not as good (though I can help you on the software side if you go that way).

Software wise ... I'm biased. I wrote my own (see signature). But I recommend HIP and EventGhost. You'll hear people talk about Girder, but HIP and EventGhost are free, Girder isn't. I know EventGhost is great, but I started out with HIP so I tend to favour it.

See what other people think about what IR device to get (you'll hear it referred to as a Blaster) and then try HIP (it's probably the easiest to learn) and if you want full integration with MediaPortal, as far as sending and receiving IR commands, then try my software as well.

As for the Hauppauge cards having built in IR transmitters ... I can only go from my experience with users of my software, and that tells me to avoid it if you want to control something like a projector (not an STB). I'm sure there are Hauppauge devices that work fine for this, but I don't know which models will work and which to avoid, so be aware of that.

Oh, and I should also mention ... If your devices can be controlled by Serial or USB or some other "wired" type of connection then you should use that instead... IR Blasting is great, but you should only use it if you have to because it's over-the-air and that's inherently less reliable than a good cable.

Best of luck,

teststrips

Portal Member
    March 2, 2008
    I wasn't aware that the MCE remotes had blasters attached. I don't necc need the remote itslef, but they do appear to be a cheaper alternative to the dedicated USB-IR devices I've found.

and-81

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Yeah, that's the thing. Looking at it from your point of view, it works as a generic IR receiver and it comes with a free remote :)

The MCE remote itself has three buttons that can learn IR commands, the TV Power and Channel +/- (if memory serves me correctly). And it's often considered one of the best HTPC remotes available.

The receiver box has two blaster ports and it comes with two blaster bugs on long cables.

HIP, Girder and IR Server Suite all support IR blasting from the MCE device, and there are some other MediaPortal plugins that do too. And to answer something I forgot to earlier, you can get command line tools to do the blasting as well (something which is included in IR Server Suite or available as part of the replacement driver package).

Anyway, I'll shut up now and let everyone else make a recommendation :)

Cheers,

teststrips

Portal Member
    March 2, 2008
    I'd consider moving to the MCE remote, but I need several "configurable" buttons. My ATI Remote Wonder II has 6 of these buttons - I currently only use two: the PC is used for both a standard PC and a Media PC. I have buttons dedicated to switching between my main monitor and my projector.

Once I have IR control I'm going to use the other four
    Projector Power ON/off command (one button)
    Screen up/down/stop commands (three buttons)

I wish I had further configurable buttons because I'd love to get a PC-X10 adapter to control my X10 based lighting.

I guess I could try to write a small program that would allow all three of the screen controls (up/down/stop) to be together... I could hit the assigned button - have an on-screen menu appear - choose up/down/stop with the arrow keys and OK to actually make it happen (did that make sense)?

and-81

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Don't bother writing your own (unless you want to). You can do what you want with existing software.

And with the mce or usb-uirt receiver you can make any remote button do anything, not just the command it was designed for... You could for example remap any button on the mce remote to blast an ir command to your projector...

What I was saying about the MCE remote was that 3 of the buttons can be made to send IR codes from the remote itself, but with software you can remap any of the buttons to trigger IR blasting or any other command you can think of.

The MCE receiver is like the USB-UIRT receiver (with the right software) it can use any remote, not just the remote it came with...

Hope that explains it a bit better.

Cheers,

teststrips

Portal Member
    March 2, 2008
    great.. now just which exact MCE remote to get and where to get it from - looks like there are several "certified" MCE remotes on Newegg for about $30 (US) - any specific favorite remotes out there?

and-81

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Yeah, try for the European/Australian model.

It has four teletext buttons (Red, Green, Yellow, and Blue) that are handy for mapping to extra functions if you don't use teletext.

It's model 1039 pictured here.

Try to avoid the certifiable remotes :)

The third party remotes can be fine, but unless you want to save a few more bucks I wouldn't get one if you can help it.

Also, while you're considering the purchase you might want to consider the MCE remote keyboard as well ... if you buy it at the same time it's cheaper than buying it later... You may not want it at all, but I just thought I'd make sure you know about it.

Cheers,

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom