IRSS Setup Guide - for TV and Receiver Control (1 Viewer)

arsenal333

Portal Pro
December 26, 2006
Melbourne
Home Country
IRSS Setup Guide - for TV and Receiver Control

Synopsis

This guide shows my home setup for TV and Receiver control using the IRSS application. It is intended to show as an example what can be achieved with IRSS and for people to use as a reference point for there own setups.

These learnings have been through some trial an error, and plenty of reading through forums, google searches and piecing the parts of the puzzle together.

References

Initial bug report for Hex issues
Samsung LED TV - serial control - help - Guide for connecting a Samsung TV
Marantz SR7002 Control Codes here - Marantz RS232 Control Spec)
Samsung TV best source of command code information was from this link

My Lounge Room Setup

The image show diagrammatically how I've attached my devices.

arsenal333-albums-lounge-mp-setup-picture623-mp-lounge-setup.jpg

The premise for my setup is to have full control of any RS-232 capable device from my HTPC.

Setup General Principles

I'm using IRSS in two parts, the translator application, and the MP Control Plugin.

The Translator application is used outside of MediaPortal, it is loaded when windows starts, and I use this for volume, suspend and resume events system wide. (meaning they will run even if MediaPortal is not loaded)

The MP Control Plugin is used in a less generic way, I place any actions in here that are particular only to the MediaPortal application, like, changing the Marantz Receiver to a particular sound setting based on Music or Movies being played.

Mapping these actions to remote buttons is of coarse the real reason to be doing this, and both the Translator and MP Control Plugin make this an easy enough task.

Setup Specifics

The Translator application

Below are a list of Macro's that I have setup inside the Translator Application, macro files are also attached (translator.rar)

* Suspend PC - Runs a Turn Off TV Macro, and a Turn Off Marantz Macro (Map to Suspend PC Event)
* Resume PC - Runs a Turn On TV Macro, and a Turn On Marantz Macro (map to Resume PC Event)
* Volume Up - Turns to Volume up on the Marantz (map to Volume up on remote)
* Volume Down - Turns to Volume down on the Marantz (map to Volume down on remote)
* Volume Mute - Mutes the volume on the Marantz (map to Mute on remote)
* Restart MediaPortal - uses the restart.vbs in the mediaport directory to close and restart MP (map to Green MCE button on remote)
* Samsung TV Tuner - Changes the Samsung TV to TV Tuner and the Receiver to the DVD interface (map to clear button remote)
* HTPC TV Tuner - Changes the Samsung TV to HDMI1/DVI port and the Receiver to DSS interface (map to enter button remote)
* Xbox360 - Change the Receiver to VCR1 (map to teletext button remote)

For the Suspend and Resume PC macro's to work you will need to setup a suspend and resume event in the 'event' tab and assign the suspend or resume macro to run.

The MP Control Plugin

Below are a list of Macro's that I have setup inside the MP Control Plugin

I will have to fill this list out later and update, at the moment I'm experimenting on intercepting screen events, like going to movies or tv and have the receiver change sound settings, eg Surround Sound Auto for TV and movies, or multi channel stereo for music.

IRSS Configuration Files and Locations

The IRSS configuration files I have attached are stored in this location c:\ProgramData\IR Server Suite\ Translator or MP Control Plugin.

Once copied in place, the macros will need to be edited for your own com port settings.

-----------------------------------------------

I hope this is found to be of use :)

Attachments

• Translator.rar
    4.7 KB
  • MP Control Plugin.rar
    3.2 KB

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom