[ATI] Is ATI Radeon HD4200 better than HD3200? (1 Viewer)

kszabo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2007
    Germany, Bayern
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    he has already a CPU, we don´t know which one, unfortunately (next time fill in "my system" please)

If one does not need 4 cores (as most HTPC-users) a Athlon II X2 is the best choice (only 2 physical cores and lack of L3-Cache -> less idle consumption), paired with a 785G/HD4200 µATX board.

... buy an Athlon II X4 instead of Phenom. Then you have your quad-core, low TDP, 1080i capable CPU :)

my favourite old topic :)
    TPD says nothing about average power consumption of a CPU (only the possible maximum peak, a demand motherboards must b able to cope with without smoke), nothing about idle consumption (very important for HTPCs) and nothing about energy efficiency of the CPU.

but you are right, the new Athlon IIs have very good idle consumption (especially X2s) and acceptable energy efficiency.

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    he has already a CPU, we don´t know which one, unfortunately (next time fill in "my system" please)

If one does not need 4 cores (as most HTPC-users) a Athlon II X2 is the best choice (only 2 physical cores and lack of L3-Cache -> less idle consumption), paired with a 785G/HD4200 µATX board.

... buy an Athlon II X4 instead of Phenom. Then you have your quad-core, low TDP, 1080i capable CPU :)

my favourite old topic :)
    TPD says nothing about average power consumption of a CPU (only the possible maximum peak, a demand motherboards must b able to cope with without smoke), nothing about idle consumption (very important for HTPCs) and nothing about energy efficiency of the CPU.

but you are right, the new Athlon IIs have very good idle consumption (especially X2s) and acceptable energy efficiency.

TDP put aside, real world tests shows that the Athlon II uses very little power. In some areas no more than its older brother, even when it has two cores running vs. one core :)

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    AMD uses 45W or 65W as TDP. This is not an exact measurement, though. I remember reading that a re-worked core got 45W TDP instead of 65W (or was it the other way around?), just because the measured wattage had gone below (or above) the threshold for this "grouping".

Anyway, as MP does not use much power even when playing HD material (we all love DXVA), TDP does not matter, as it reflects a CPUs max usage. A mid-range Athlon II probably would not exceed more than 15-20 % (guestimate :D) of maximum performance.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Don't also forget that CPU hyperthreading has a huge effect on the onbaord hd3200 / hd4200's performance. Basically the HT speed effects how fast the onboard video can access the shared memory (ram). This is demonstrated by the fact that if you have an HT2 CPU then a 20% overclock in HT speed increases the video card performance more than a 20% overclock in the vga core. HT3 CPU's unlock the better deinterlacing modes in ATI CCC.

HT2 CPU = Lower HT speed = Slower GPU & Bob/weave deintleracing
    HT3 CPU = Higher HT speed = Faster GPU & Vector adaptive deinterlacing

So basically if your getting onboard video then make sure you get a HT3 CPU. (eg. Phenom / Kuma Core)

disaster123

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 14, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Re: Is ATI Radeon HD4200 better than HD3200?

Don't also forget that CPU hyperthreading has a huge effect on the onbaord hd3200 / hd4200's performance. Basically the HT speed effects how fast the onboard video can access the shared memory (ram). This is demonstrated by the fact that if you have an HT2 CPU then a 20% overclock in HT speed increases the video card performance more than a 20% overclock in the vga core. HT3 CPU's unlock the better deinterlacing modes in ATI CCC.

HT2 CPU = Lower HT speed = Slower GPU & Bob/weave deintleracing
    HT3 CPU = Higher HT speed = Faster GPU & Vector adaptive deinterlacing

So basically if your getting onboard video then make sure you get a HT3 CPU. (eg. Phenom / Kuma Core)

you mean Hypertransport NOT hyperthreading. Hyperthreading is an Intel feature for simulating an aditional core - and has nothing todo with bus speed.

cecolon

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 20, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway

I have filled in "AMD Phenom 8750 2.4 GHz". Isn't this enough information, or is it not visible?

Anyways, thank you all for your help. I have decided on a board with HD4200 :)

kszabo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2007
    Germany, Bayern
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    I have filled in "AMD Phenom 8750 2.4 GHz". Isn't this enough information, or is it not visible?

no, for me it is not visible, even if I am logged in. Maybe you have to enable it. Do you see it yourself? I can see my own "My System".
    user CP -> edit your detail -> display user specs

But with your Phenom the HD4200 will perform really fine, as it should.

Anyway, as MP does not use much power even when playing HD material (we all love DXVA), TDP does not matter, as it reflects a CPUs max usage. A mid-range Athlon II probably would not exceed more than 15-20 % (guestimate :D) of maximum performance.

exactly. idle consumption and energy efficiency is the point. And Athol II X2 are great in these disciplines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom