Is Snapstream's Beyond Media being abandoned (1 Viewer)

cfaslave

Portal Member
July 24, 2006
If you haven't already read it, a very interesting thread regarding Snapstream's Beyond Media can be found here: http://forums.snapstream.com/vb/showthread.php?p=204099#post204099.
Especially of note are the posts by Rakesh who is the CEO of Snapstream. Based on their lack of support of Beyond Media, one of the most active plugin writers has abandoned the software and pulled his plugins. A post about this is at the end of that thread.

Very sad news. There has been talk of Snapstream releasing Beyond Media to open source, but nothing has come of that thus far.

I and many other Beyond Media users are looking at alternatives. So far, I'm seriously looking at Media Portal, Xlobby and possibly TVedia. It worries me to see Meedio and Beyond Media fail, but my hope remains that open source alternative will provide as good if not better software and support in the end.

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    As Media Portal is an open source community - It would be nice to have you here!

cfaslave

Portal Member
    July 24, 2006
    mzemina said:
    As Media Portal is an open source community - It would be nice to have you here!
    Thanks mzemina,
    I have already been trying MP out and hope to give it more attention soon. After the fun I've had with Meedio and Snapstream, I'm definitely finished with the others.

I'm sort of fond of Beyond TV, but I have an open mind. Even if I continue to use BTV, I'll need a good Front-end and I think Media Portal is a front-runner there.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I believe that as long as sourceforge and all the great people who contribute in there free time exist, then MediaPortal will grow from strength to strength.
    We all sometimes forget "the big picture" where there are thousands if not millions of contributors to free idea software.
    MP is lucky, it has so many great contributors to it, and that's why its overall potential is so great.
    Looking forward to the future, and more people joining this GREAT COMMUNITY.

Regards

MarcP

August 8, 2006
    Greetings all. I'm in the same boat as cfaslave. I have now switched to MP as a replacement to BeyondMedia, but I'm still using BTV as my PVR until the much MUCH anticipated TVEngine 3.0 is out. You guys are gonna kill what's out there with that. :)

The only feature missing is the processing of the comskip output for skipping commercials. That's something I (and more importantly my wife) have grown to love. My wife doesn't mind if I switch software, but if it removes her ability to skip commercials, I might not survive.

cfaslave

Portal Member
    July 24, 2006
    MarcP or anyone else who has switched to MP from BM:
    How are you using Media Portal to watch ripped DVD's and Mpegs from multiple hard drives? I'm trying to get functionality as close to the DVD Library plugin for BM as possible.

So far I've tried MyDVD's for MP, but not had much success so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom