Is that the end of MP? (1 Viewer)

badboyxx

Portal Pro
June 15, 2012
Home Country
Germany Germany
It has been a long time since a new version of MP was released. There are almost no new themes, new plug-ins, new versions... it doesn't matter whether MP1 or MP2. I know that this all means high effort and there are almost no developers left. To me it looks like MP is slowly dying. I found the project always great and was enthusiastic about it. I would like to see it continue for a long time.

Many thanks to the people who have offered their free time to make this possible.

badboyxx

Portal Pro
June 15, 2012
Home Country
Germany Germany
Of course you are right and most of them works well.
For example, no one can help me with a certain plug-in that needs to be updated. The actual developer has left and no one wants to work on it. I can understand very well why.
In addition, new MP releases have never taken more than 3 months. I've just noticed that there is less and less being released.
That worries me all a bit.

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    MP2 has larger but less frequent releases, the next large release of version2.4 will be soon.
    But of course you are right, there are less and less active developers, but more developers just visiting the forum sporadically. Why this is so was discussed several times and the death of MP is just a matter of time. Every modern TV offers inbuild GUIs meanwhile. Streaming pushes local data bases away. Alternative, much smaller, cheaper but powerful hardware is available meanwhile, but of course it’s not windows based. So MP as windows based SW is step by step only second choice. I’m not using MP for TV anymore, but my android based TV Box. As long my HTPC is alive I’ll use it for my movies and series, because I do not use streaming services and do not like them. But probably I need to change my mind someday …

Patrik-See

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 12, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Me and my family (2 adults and 3 children) still diligently use Media Portal.
    Yes, it is true that the Media Portal is unfortunately linked to Windows.

We watch TV or record movies at night.
    Watch BluRay movies from the record.

However, we are also noticing the increase in streaming.

Where there would be great improvement would be reports in journals, computer forums, etc.
    The advertisement for Media Portal is 0.0

----------------------

Ich und meine Familie (2 Erwachsene und 3 Kinder) verwenden immer noch fleißig Media Portal.
    Ja es stimmt das Media Portal leider an Windows gekoppelt ist.

Wir schauen TV bzw. nehmen Filme Nachts auf.
    Schauen BluRay Filme von der Platte.

Allerdings merken auch wir den Streaming zuwachs.

Wo große Verbesserung bestehen würde, wäre Berichte in Fachzeitschriften, Computer Foren etc.
    Die Werbung für Media Portal ist 0,0

CanadianEh

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 21, 2011
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I had been using MediaPortal 1.x since around 2011, but have recently moved away, switching to a combination of Plex and NextPVR (with xteve to grab channel lists). The main reason is the availability of Plex's clients on literally every streaming device - Roku's, Fire Sticks, etc. I had been using the Mediaportal integration with Kodi for clients, but we all know it's less than ideal and it still required me to have Raspberry Pi's scattered around the house (Kodi is not available on Roku's).

I will say that Plex's LiveTV DVR lacks a ton of features compared to MediaPortal, and streaming to client devices are not nearly as smooth as Mediaportal at times (odd movement in fast scenes sometimes), but the convenience and simplicity of the solution from a device management perspective makes the trade-offs a no-brainer for us.

That being said, if MediaPortal had non-Windows client options - specifically FireTV and Roku, I probably would have stuck with it.

CanadianEh

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 21, 2011
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    The main feature of Plex lacks already. It’s not possible to stream files from a local source without Plex doing transcoding :ROFLMAO: The concept is a failure if you ask me.
    Sure it does. Unfortunately, the default value forces it to transcode. You just need to set the video quality to "original".

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Sure it does. Unfortunately, the default value forces it to transcode. You just need to set the video quality to "original".
    I just tried a few days before, it does only for some small files. It tried to transcode all the mkv containers I have and it also failed for all. The checkmark „original“ was checked. Plex meant my 1 Gigabit LAN would be not enough, though I can even play 8k files over it with vlc player.

ajs

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 29, 2008
    Kyiv
    Home Country
    Ukraine Ukraine
    I've been using MP1 since 2007 or 2008, I don't remember. Used in the family every day, 3 HTPCs.
    At this point the MP1 is in near perfect condition. And we only have a couple of fixes for the new Pre release. There is single database support in development for many MP1s, but I haven't been able to test that yet. So some innovation is coming, and MP1 is alive. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom