Is the Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder best? (1 Viewer)

cecolon

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 20, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I experimented with running 1080p movies with lots of movement (Planet Earth), and found out that Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder is the only resulting in no stutter and low CPU usage. I have installed the unlocked SAF and tried CyberLink Video Decoder (PDVD9) as well.

Is there any need for other codecs, when the MS codecs exist and seem to do just fine? I assume they are included with Windows 7.

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    as far as i can tell the MS DTV video decoder is only good for mpeg 2 video .. but i definitely use it for TV here in Australia (we use mpeg2) ..i havnt found anything better (at least for digital tv here)

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    as far as i can tell the MS DTV video decoder is only good for mpeg 2 video

They work nicely for H264 content as well. All the test material I have tested it with has been providing good results (broadcasted, blu-ray or any other source).

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    The codec can also handle H.264 / HD channels, but people with ATi/AMD cards would probably choose something else, as there have been many reports on artifacts with this codec.

fabien44

Portal Pro
    March 12, 2006
    I agree with that! For my config MS DTV-DVD gives me the best image for live TV (i compared with SAF4 MPC). I run under Windows 7 (EVR) and ATI 4550 with driver 11.2.

Just one issue for H264 contents: it could be smoother for rapid scenes (eg: live football games). Could we change some settings in this codec?

revs

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2007
    The Sauce of Worcester
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    I agree - i have just moved to Windows 7 and use the MS codecs.

I have in the past used pretty much every other codec, and the MS ones seem to work the best (best picture, hardware acceleration, deals well with bad tv picture)

I still have ffdshow and such installed for other types of video

domb

Portal Pro
    October 30, 2006
    I would say there is no right or wrong codec. Use which ever works best for you. I never used to like the Microsoft DMO decoder for VC-1 as it stuttered more than Arcsoft but since SP1 and updating my ATI drivers it seems to be fine so I'm going to switch back to it.

Also its the only thing that works for me properly with Freeview HD in the UK (1440x1080i h.264).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom