Is there, or is there not, a free EPG for Mediapoetal? (1 Viewer)

Don Gray

September 10, 2015
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I am new to Mediaportal, and have spent the last two days trying to get it set up.
I am using MP2, and can watch TV, but cannot get a free EPG to work. Everywhere I go, thinking I am on the trail of a workable solution, I run into some kind of a road block, partially because of being in the USA, and partially because of Microsoft changing their EPG source. So before I drive myself more crazy, can someone tell me if there is actually such a thing as a free EPG for Mediaportal? If there is, is there a guide for a non-programmer to install it?

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    For US the most easy way I know of is to use SchedulesDirect. But this is not free of charge afaik. A free option is to use WebEPG with imdb.com as data source. A link to the MP1 Wiki (that is valid for MP2 too in this case) you can find in the post above.

Or you can try to get WebGrab++ up and running. This is free but really complicated to set up. Once you've got it running, it's working like a charm and it's delivering rich data for free.
    for a non-programmer
    This can be an issue if you want to try WebGrab++. For this you must edit some XML files in an text editor like Notepad. So minimal knowledge about how to edit XML or script file is necessary.

By the way, all three solutions I've named are available in both, TVE3.0 (the old but stable TV engine delivered with both, MP1 and MP2) and the new but experimental TVE 3.5 that for now is available as a separate download for MP2 only...

gonzo90017

Portal Pro
    September 3, 2012
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Actually you can get EPG data from ATSC using a program called EPG Collector. The problem is that you have to run it more then a few times a day because some channels only provide a few hours of data. Some like CBS if I remember correctly provide around 24 hours of data. But very few channels do this. Also downloading of EPG data takes a longer then other methods. But you can reduce the time by Excluding certain channels and subchannels from the scan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom