Is this XBMC setup possible in MediaPortal? (1 Viewer)

Jared Mason

Portal Member
January 12, 2013
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hey guys,

Long time lurker since back when I first set up my first HTPC a couple of years back. I have been using XBMC and am starting to have frustrations with its user interface, but I still use it because it has a couple of key plugins I really like, such as support for Playon and the "MyLibrary" plugin. If I switched over, does MediaPortal have any solutions equivalent to these?

Let me give you a brief description. Playon is a upnp server which allows you to browse netflix/hulu/etc videos as if the files were on your own media server. Once I have setup the upnp location in XBMC I then use MyLibrary (which is more of an external java app) to scrape the XBMC Playon location and create a folder full of strm files, which can then be added to my main library. The net result is that I don't need to go into any particular Netflx, Hulu or Amazon app to find a particular movie or show - instead all of my movies and shows sit in my main Movie and TV Shows libraries so I can browse them all in the one interface with fanart, thumbnails, info etc.

I am very keen to get onto MediaPortal as I've noticed the UI's seem consistently more finished than the XBMC ones, and I've heard the Live TV feature is very well implemented. Unfortunately, having all of my videos in the one location is currently a bit of a deal breaker.

If anyone can advise of a way to do this or point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom